Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The reason I started thinking about wool as an undercover is because I just used a wool blanket as an undercover last night. A fog rolled in, and there was a lot of dew, and it began settling on my UQ. I hung the wool blanket from the hammock ridgeline and voila! The down UQ stayed dry as did the hammock.

Unfortunately, a wool army blanket weighs a ton, which is why I thought I could get the same weather protection from lighter wool/denser weave like is used to make men's suits. Wool is not going to be windproof, but if you lanolinize it, I think it would keep you pretty dry.

MacEntyre has canvas hammock socks for cold-weather camping that weigh 4 oz. per yard (29 oz. total). Couldn't you make the same thing with wool? Surely they make wool that is lighter than 4 oz per yard.

And I'm strictly thinking about the weatherproofing capabilities of wool. The insulative properties are a bonus. I don't know if anyone has ever worn a wool sweater out in a snowstorm (I'm stupid that way), but the outer layer can be blanketed in snow and you don't even get wet. The moisture stays on the surface and doesn't penetrate.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    why not use a Sil or ripstop... way cheaper and worked just as good
    and to be honest ... you were crying about you pack weight the one video LOL
    adding a wool undercover is not going to help HAHAHAHH ... sorry had to bust on ya SS LOL
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...I know I'm about to get laughed at...but...

A decent "multi-use" item along these lines would be a merino wool cloak.

I know...because I own and use one occasionally (hey...I used to work at ren fairs....DEAL! ).

I've occasionally thought about replacing my poncho liner with my wook cloak for extreme cold weather camping.

As previously noted...treated with lanolin, you can stand outside in a downpour drinking beer and remain totally dry. Trust me...speaking from experience here!

I could see using it to keep warm while in camp, and then using a couple of clips to attach it as an UQ or overcover on a hammock...or just throw it in as one more layer to your TQ.

Weight is of course the biggest issue. Hang your own hammock...see how it works out for you if you want to.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    As previously noted...treated with lanolin, you can stand outside in a downpour drinking beer and remain totally dry.
    That depends on how much beer you drink!
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    why not use a Sil or ripstop... way cheaper and worked just as good
    and to be honest ... you were crying about you pack weight the one video LOL
    adding a wool undercover is not going to help HAHAHAHH ... sorry had to bust on ya SS LOL
    I thought Silnylon was non-breathable. Wouldn't there be a condensation issue? And at $8.75 a yard for Sylnylon 1st, it's no bargain.

I can't find any information on the weight of wool per square yard. It's one thing to say wool is heavy, but I want to know how heavy so I can compare. If they're close in weight and insulative properties, I'll always choose a natural fiber over a synthetic one.

I can get ripstop nylon in various weights, 1.1, 1.7 or 1.9 oz per square yard. But what is the weight of the various grades of wool? If you've ever had a Shetland Wool cable-knit sweater, you know that stuff weighs a ton. Merino wool seems twice, if not four times lighter. But what about all the other lightweight wools, like virgin lambswool, cashmere, alpaca, mohair, and angora?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think you will find a better setup is a nylon polar fleece laminate. Much as I like wool it is heavier than polar fleece. OTOH you will need a wind blocking shell.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Having looked into some wool options before, I can tell you that wool will weight quite a bit more than a lightweight ripstop. If you need to verify that, just take a thin Smartwool top and compare it in weight to a Montbell windshirt. The difference would be a bit over double. Then add lanolin to the Smartwool, and the weight will increase again. Once you get into alpaca and cashmere, you'll find the options for a thin fabric being all but nonexistent.

If you think $8.75 for sil is expensive, try pricing some suit fabric. Most of that comes in over $20 and is dry clean only.

I had some of the same concerns with down. I later discovered that the dwr treatment on most down gear will allow fog and dew to be shaken off the quilt in the morning as it will bead on the outside. Most wetting of down will occur from the inside out as opposed to from the elements in- perspiration and respiration as those originate in the form of vapor and not a liquid state. Humidity will also contribute as it comes in the form of vapor and not liquid, but a weathershield will only serve to prevent that moisture from escaping your down (wind is your friend in this case).

A far more bombproof solution to avoiding damp insulation in conditions with high humidity, mist and fog is merely moving from an UQ to a pad when those conditions are likely.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Nothing against wool but I am making a comparison from a rotary phone ( Wool ) and a smart phone ( Polartec Fleese) some things are just that outdated, says the Old Owl.
    WOO - I see your point but here's another thing to think about. During the multi-day power outage following the recent winter storm that dumped a foot or more snow in the Northeast, the two rotary phones in my house never missed a call (in or out) even well after the newer phones (smart phones included) had dead batteries. It's kind of like a BIC lighter and a flint - they both have their place.

...says he who is typing while wearing a fleece top!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    A far more bombproof solution to avoiding damp insulation in conditions with high humidity, mist and fog is merely moving from an UQ to a pad when those conditions are likely.

Back to a pad? Perish the thought! We're on our second day of fog here, and tarps are no use in this weather. The moisture just goes right under the tarp, saturating everything from top and bottom - hammock, UQ, and TQ. I don't see how a pad would help much in these conditions, though it might be the only thing not saturated.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Back to a pad? Perish the thought! We're on our second day of fog here, and tarps are no use in this weather. The moisture just goes right under the tarp, saturating everything from top and bottom - hammock, UQ, and TQ. I don't see how a pad would help much in these conditions, though it might be the only thing not saturated.
    A pad would be the only item not saturated and still offering the same level of insulation thereby eliminating the bottom from the equation.

Another problem with fog is that it raises the humidity level and travels in a vapor state. There are not many solutions that will keep vapor from the outside out while allowing vapor from the inside to escape. While lanolin treated wool might be water resistant, it is still vapor permeable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast