Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Winter is almost here!

12/5/11
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...e=1&banner=off

At 10,100 feet, Hobbs Park- close to Lonesome Lake/Cirque of the towers in Wyoming's Wind River Range- is reporting in at minus 19F with 31" of snow on the ground. WhooooBuddy, that would push some of our systems to the limit, and it is not even officially winter for 2 or 3 weeks!

I hope all my fellow hangers are ready! With your MW3s and 4s and Yetis and Incubators and PeaPods and Polarpods(anyone?) and home rigged sleeping bag pods and even the humble Supershelters........ bring it on!

So what are Y'all going to try new this year, or what old faithful standby are you sticking with for winter fun?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Almost here?

I was in an outdoor Pin Match (shooting bowling pins) yesterday. By the time I got home, I could barely walk because my feet were so cold. Lesson learned about appropriate footwear, but in my book, winter is already here.

So what am I doing different this year....I'm getting new boots!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    BB58:
    You should be feeling the chill of ol man winter about right now.........well at least you should as the "cold" front is passing through your area headed my way!!!!!! It looks like a great weekend coming up, low 30's upper 20's at night and 50's during the day, gonna try real hard to make it out.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Almost here?

Tell that to my snowblower which made its 3rd appearance yesterday. It sure felt like winter on my drive in this morning (-7*F). On the downside, my free week of skiing at Big Sky expired yesterday. Oh well, many more days ahead.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Almost? 3 snows (though biggest yet only 1.5 inches) already this year and already seen 26F...almost could have waited another month
    New gear--that retro thing with the Optimus 99r and the de-dusted Jansport but at the same time going 22cd century with a Smokeater stove for fun-I want to see how it will do in a titanium caldera cone setup.....waiting on some LeighLo downy goodness, a 5 foot long 4 foot wide 0F rated UQ that I hope to take to RRG. Playing with the Zebra H51 but already hate that it doesnt have a red light

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    32 degrees in the San Juaquin Valley (Southern end) this AM and it will only hit about 60 today. I almost had to put on a coat to...oh cool, a Hummingbird at the feeder as I type!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Well...the wife is going out of town to visit her sister for a few weeks...so...waiting for a good cold snap or preferably our first decent snow of the year to hit so that Weasel and I can hit the woods near the house and go for our first snow/cold weather hang.

We've only been out down to about 34* F so far...but figure with our gear we should be able to handle down into the teens if we're smart, so we're wanting to test it out.

Will let ya'll know how it goes once that magical night arrives!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'll be making some new down quilts and other down accessories... it's not cold here yet (53°F here today). In places where it snows in other seasons, how could snowfall indicate that it's winter?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'll be making some new down quilts and other down accessories... it's not cold here yet (53°F here today). In places where it snows in other seasons, how could snowfall indicate that it's winter?
    I guess it all depends on whether you look at winter as dates on a calendar or as a condition of the weather. When the thermometer starts showing the cold indicator (that is the little dash in front of the numbers) and I pull out my "winter jacket", I start calling it winter.

P.S. When there is still snow on the ground on June 21st, I will have a hard time declaring summer is here as well.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    winters already here. Already seen 20F ans a foot of snow. Already been playing with supershelters and hope to be hot tent/hanging in the new year.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast