Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heescha View Post
    haha, ok, leather man is a check! good idea about the fishing pole! i could just strap it onto the outside of my pack!

That's what I do with mine...it colapses down (4 sections) and I string the line through all the eyes, then tie it back on the reel. I have a rubber band around the rod to hold the line taut & prevent snags. Then I put it in my water bottle holder on the side of my pack, and slide it under the compression straps. Do the same thing with the tripod on the other side of the pack.

I never pretended to be a gram weenie.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    are you going w/ someone else? if so, are they experienced?
    if you are going solo, i would think about not going far & always have a bail out plan in case you run into problems that you're not able to safely deal with.
    and like said in an earlier post, let people know where you are going to be & when you expect to return.
    that should include talking to rangers in that area.
    Not to sound to much like a Dad, but this question begs to be answered! You can read up all you want, but if you are going on anykind of distant hike, in an area that you have never been, you need to take someone along. No matter what USE COMMON SENSE.

Tim, I am really glad that you asked this question. I was about to say the same thing you did, but then went back and read everything.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

i really appreciate your concern guys! i am trying to use as much common sense as i can even in preperation. I need to get some maps and stuff, and we will pretty much stay on trail. It is my brother and me (we are both inexperienced). I am "some what" framilier with the area (as far as how to get to the start of the trail!) But i've been emailing GF&P to get more information as far as water sources and such, as well as bear and mountain lion movement.
    This is the day that the Lord has made-let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    heescha, the first time I went, I was young and very inexperienced. I went with a friend who knew even less than I did. We just stayed on the trail, and didn't do anything stupid. Also, something to think about, all our gear was barrowed. This way I got to see what I needed to buy for myself, and what I could do with out. Just a thought, and don't worry about it. As long as you stick to an established trail you'll be fine!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "pretty much stay on the trail"?

Ummm... dude.... I know when I was in high school going into college I could handle anything that came along. But now that I have kids older than you... let me be a dad for one post. [dad rant]Don"t "pretty much stay on the trail." Except for taking a dump STAY ON IT. period.

The reason is very simple. IF... and God forbid... something should happen... it will more likely happen off the trail than on. You are more likely to wrench an ankle, or step in a hole, or find a critter you don't want to find if you get off the trail. Then... you are more likely to be found _on_ the trail than off.

I know folks who don't deal with trails period. Total bushwhackers. But they are very skilled map readers and they know how to read terrain and they are most often very familiar with where they are going. So please.... stay on the trail.[/dad rant]

Thank you for your indulgence I now return you to your regularly scheduled forums.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Shelter , Fire Starters , Water , Food , Base Layer Clothing , Xtra Socks , Extra Boot Laces , Etc Etc.. Never Depend On Fancy Gadgets For Your Survival , A Camping Or Hiking Trip Can Turn Into A Survival Situation Real Quick!! Build Upon Your Basics And Always Be Redundant , I Have The Basics Loaded Into My Rucksack And A Smaller Version Of The Basics Loaded Into My Buttpack, Compass , Magnesium Bars , Flint And Steel, Poncho...small Foods...do I Really Need To Keep Going ? Lol!!! Have A Great Trip!!!
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    OH YEAH!!! TAKE A GOOD KNIFE!!!YOU CAN PICK UP A KBAR FOR ABOUT 50 bucks
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOUTSNIPER36 View Post
    OH YEAH!!! TAKE A GOOD KNIFE!!!YOU CAN PICK UP A KBAR FOR ABOUT 50 bucks
    Whoa man. A Ka-Bar was nice back in my Marine Corps days,too. I wouldn't even consider carrying one now. Far, far too heavy. Give due consideration to a good quality Swiss Army knife without too many bells and whistles. I'd also look at a simple blade like the Gerber Paraframe or something similar.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if the temperatures are going to be cool, take care to keep your gear dry & choose a nice, protected campsite.
    don't make hasty decisions... be cool
    sometimes we are our own worst enemy
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor JH Tarp
    Insulation
    MontBell SS UL #2
    Suspension
    Descender rings
    Quote Originally Posted by heescha View Post
    haha, ok, leather man is a check! good idea about the fishing pole! i could just strap it onto the outside of my pack!
    Just don't expect to catch anything.

A

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast