Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard

Basics of Pitching Camp with Hammock

Hi!

My HH just arrived and I haven't even played with it yet, but I'm thinking about a routine for pitching it. I've trolled around and couldn't find a related topic. I got a HH Explorer Deluxe with the Hex Fly.

I thought I would pack my tarp seperate from the rest of the hammock. My thought was to that I should pitch the Hex Fly seperately with some paracord first. Pitch this about 6.5 feet high, so I can stand under it. I can then have a work area away from the sun or rain as needed. With a work area, next I can pitch the hammock. With snake skins it should be pretty easy. What do you think about that?

I have some other questions? What about drip lines? Are those pretty standard to have? Would I just put a peice of paracord on the lines for the hammock and tarp?

Also, seems like the slap straps, 'biner and descending rings is the way to make the hanging quick and easy. Is this a pretty standard?

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I'm just getting started.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Good idea to pack tarp separate from hammock. If the wx is good it doesn't matter which you pitch first, but if its raining etc, its good to throw up the tarp first. You may want a tighter pitch than 6.5' if its really gonna storm. Porch mode is nice too as an option in mild wx. Drip lines are a good idea if you don't have any hardware between your suspension and hammock. A piece of shoe string will prolly work fine. Slap strap seem to be generally regarded as crap around here, the main reason is that the nylon stretches like crazy, and to me why settle for a "specifically" adjustable suspension system when there are better "infinitely" adjustable systems out there ?(whoopie slings, straps with elephant trunks, various Dutch solutions etc.) Hope that helps.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    When you say slap straps I assume you mean the tree huggers that come with the HH. Slap strap have multiple sewn attachment points.

Attach a couple of descending rings to one end with a larks head and biner to the other to use garda hitch suspension with the stock HH rope. This is a great starter suspension if/when you decide you can graduate to whoopie slings by removing the rings and replacing the HH rope. Very easy to do, but can be a little intimidating the first time. This was the progression I made and it worked well.

Shouldn't need to worry about drip line with either of these setups.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    I do mean HH Tree Huggers that came with the HH. Thanks for that. I think a garda hitch suspension is exactly what I was thinking of, but didn't know what it was called.

On the tarp suspension line...to attach to trees... I was just thinking of a paracord with 2 half hitches on one side and a taut-line hitch on the other. Maybe a taut-line hitch on both sides. I'd have a clothesline between the two trees to drape the Hex Fly over. Does that sound like a good idea?

Hmm.. I guess I'll need some loops or something in the paracord for the tarp to attach to won't I? Maybe a couple of Bowlines on each side before the hitches?

Gosh, this stuff starts to get over whelming!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Feller....welcome to the hammock life. I did a video series just for the New Guy so check it out if you want. May give you some intel.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    Hope it helps. There is a learning curve on hammocks...tarps....warm insulation choices.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey Feller....welcome to the hammock life. I did a video series just for the New Guy so check it out if you want. May give you some intel.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    Hope it helps. There is a learning curve on hammocks...tarps....warm insulation choices.
    Shug
    +1 on this series. Great videos and tons of information in them for both new and seasoned hammockers.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    I do mean HH Tree Huggers that came with the HH. Thanks for that. I think a garda hitch suspension is exactly what I was thinking of, but didn't know what it was called.

On the tarp suspension line...to attach to trees... I was just thinking of a paracord with 2 half hitches on one side and a taut-line hitch on the other. Maybe a taut-line hitch on both sides. I'd have a clothesline between the two trees to drape the Hex Fly over. Does that sound like a good idea?

Hmm.. I guess I'll need some loops or something in the paracord for the tarp to attach to won't I? Maybe a couple of Bowlines on each side before the hitches?

Gosh, this stuff starts to get over whelming!
    What I wound up doing with my hex tarp was to take some el-cheapo camo cord from Wallyworld and setting it up as a continuous ridgeline above the tarp.

Then, I took the mitten hooks attached to the stock suspension on the hammock and undid the Prusik knots holding them there.

I then attached the mitten hooks to the CRL cord via Klemheist knots (since the diameter of the camo cord and the line on the mitten hooks was so close, Prusiks had a tendency to slip under tension), and clipped the clips to the nylon triangles at the ends of the tarp.

This allows me to simply tie off the CRL under mild tension using slippery half-hitches and then move the knots along the CRL to tension and place the tarp where I need it between the trees. It works for me, and requires no extra hardware purchased except for the actual CRL cord.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Excellent choice for hammock and tarp...exactly what I use.

Yes, drip loops are a good thing to have.

Yep, right choice on opting to seperate your tarp from your hammock. You don't even HAVE to have a ridgeline for the tarp...I just use two attached lines to the plastic d-rings on the end of a tarp and two plastic Fig 9s to tension either side as needed.

I've done the 'biner and rings setup for the HH using the stock rope...and it does work like a charm. I've just very recently converted to whoopie slings...the conversion is easy enough to do, but I honestly don't have any experience hanging on the whoopies yet to 'sell you' on them yet.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Thanks guys. For lunch I went to the outdoors store and was going to buy the rings and biners. I was surprised that the 'biners were $8 each and the rings were $7 each. That's nearly $50 to change to the garda hitch suspension! Yikes!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    ALDan:
    Where are you located in the Heart of Dixie.........never mind, send me a pm with your address and I will put you a pair of whoopie slings in the mail. I have a set that will not be needed for a hammock project and need a new home. Go get the beiners and you can use them to connect to the straps. You will have to research how to change the HH over to whoopies, I hear that it is not that difficult.

Definitely check out the videos that Shug made for Newbs..............
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast