Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle

I now this is blasphemy but

Ok guys I am going to ask, since sometime yes sometimes I may choose to sleep on the GROUND yes I said it. Now my question is for those TQ users like myself have you used your top quilt with a mat to sleep on the ground with and if so were you able to stay warm. Like an idiot I sold stuff I though I wouldn't use again ie: sleeping bag. and want to still be able to do some ground stuff thought of using my TQ in conjunction with my GI bivy bag .

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Can't Wait View Post
    Ok guys I am going to ask, since sometime yes sometimes I may choose to sleep on the GROUND yes I said it. Now my question is for those TQ users like myself have you used your top quilt with a mat to sleep on the ground with and if so were you able to stay warm. Like an idiot I sold stuff I though I wouldn't use again ie: sleeping bag. and want to still be able to do some ground stuff thought of using my TQ in conjunction with my GI bivy bag .
    I've used at TQ for years with a tarp on the ground before swapping to a hammock last year. The concept is the same: the down under you gets compressed and doesn't give much insulation. A good insulated mat is all that's needed for cold weather. A simple CCF for warm weather.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Some top quilts, like those from Jacks "R" Better, have loops sewn on the perimeter where you can tie on some flat ribbon elastic or cord to keep the sides of the quilt tight and wrapped around a pad. Quilts work great for ground sleeping, if and when that is a reality.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I used a Synmat with a Ventra quilt and sheet for a couple years before finding the hammock. The quilts I have picked up from vendors here are warmer and I would suspect would work better. When I used the Ridgerest pad I wasn't as warm, so I would pay more attention to the pad when choosing to go to the ground.
    Bivy's add a little quilt protection and warmth too.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I slept comfortably on a BA insualted air mat..with a down quilt for a couple of years with no complaints, wearing just insulated fleece pants and top, and beanie type head gear,,just fine,,and love the quilts over the bags,,in the extremes,,its still hard to beat a bag on the ground however,,,but you can with todays quilts and the way they are loaded with down.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I used quilts on the ground, over a decade before I knew what a hammock was. Lot's of ground people use them. I don't own one sleeping bag today. I would probably use a sleeping bag for mountaineering etc, that's about it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Thanks guys I am a proud owner of a HG 3 season burrow so should be ok. Sometimes a may hit the ground or a cot want to try a hot tent someday for deep winter camping

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I regularly use my TQ's on the deck, I have a NeoAir short which I use 3 season, chuck a Thermarest sit pad in the footbox and I'm toasty.

I'll be trying my newly ordered winter TQ this time round, I'll be hauling my Exped downmat too though

I've used my 20* HG Burrow with a blue CCF pad down to like 40-45*.. slept nice and warm. Actually had to vent at points.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Insulation
    Nest & Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopies & E trunk
    I use my JRB No Sniveller and a therm-o-rest pad to sleep on the ground when I backpack in the Grand Canyon. I stay toasty warm and it's lighter than a sleeping bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast