Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Down socks with soles of this stuff would be hard to beat! Boots made of this would be very welcome too.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/39789636/Spaceloft-Insulation

Per the data sheet, .15gm per cc (I'm assuming that's the 9mm thick stuff). If my math is in the ballpark thats 1254 g (42.4 oz) per square yd. Halve that for the 5mm version and ends up around 21oz sq yd.

Thickness to thickness, with an R value of 10 per inch, a 9mm or .35" spaceloft pad would have a R value of ~3.5. In comparison, a 3/8" or 9.5mm thinlight has an R value of ~ 1.42 . For an R value comparison, a RidgeRest Solar (.75 in) has an R value of ~3.5 .

CCF R values taken from http://www.tenpoundbackpack.com/gear...sleeping-pads/

Of course R values are subjective, draw your own conclusions.

HTH
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WdtSl9qWDg3R3c

a spreadsheet for calculating weight and R value for a given sheet size. I can make it for any of these aerogel materials if we can get weight and R value info.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I just ordered a Shiver Shield jacket. I'll know soon enough whether it insulates like they claim it does. If the jacket works well enough, I'll order the pants also. I'm stil thinking of deep winter hammocking wearing this stuff and only using a thin top blanket and maybe a weathershield underneath. I'd still need to cover hands, feet, neck and head.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I just ordered a Shiver Shield jacket. I'll know soon enough whether it insulates like they claim it does. If the jacket works well enough, I'll order the pants also. I'm stil thinking of deep winter hammocking wearing this stuff and only using a thin top blanket and maybe a weathershield underneath. I'd still need to cover hands, feet, neck and head.
    awesome, can't wait to hear about your experience!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Down socks with soles of this stuff would be hard to beat! Boots made of this would be very welcome too.
    That's essentially what I use - down booties from REI or Lands End or such (I don't remember where they came from - a present, I think) + "Toasty Feet" aerogel insoles. In very cold weather I sleep in them, but usually need to take them off after an hour or two when my hammock tent warms up. I also use Toasty Feet insoles (a different set) in my winter boots.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    That's essentially what I use - down booties from REI or Lands End or such (I don't remember where they came from - a present, I think) + "Toasty Feet" aerogel insoles. In very cold weather I sleep in them, but usually need to take them off after an hour or two when my hammock tent warms up. I also use Toasty Feet insoles (a different set) in my winter boots.

I use Toasty Feet also thanks to WV.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Have you worn the jacket yet? I'm looking forward to hearing your review.

Hammock
    DD camping
    Tarp
    DD 3m x 3m
    Insulation
    Blizzard Bivi
    Suspension
    Whoopies & huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika bohlmann View Post
    Have you worn the jacket yet? I'm looking forward to hearing your review.
    Me too! I'm a biker and look forward to the day they put aerogel into motorbike gloves.

More importantly though.... is it a step forward for winter hanging?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.1
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Diamond
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Amsteel SRS
    So how it works?

Btw, I've written to Shiver Shield and they answered that they will have by this fall: small sizes, insoles, stadium seats, hand muffs, and sleeping mats. Gloves and other accessories are in the works too, but not sure they will be available this fall.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, Claytor Jungle, ENO
    Tarp
    Vertex & Super Fly
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    As a hunter, this interests me, but the major thing I see is missing is, its not breathable.... so your natural persperation can't escape, who cares if its water proof, if you move around in it at all you will get wet, or am I missing something?

Would be nice for riding ATV out ice fishing or putting on after on stand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast