Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios

UQ or HH/SS

I have a HH Exped/Asym with a bottom opening. I don't know whether to have my wife make an UQ out of a rectangular down sleeping bag resewn with shock cords and clips $, purchase a new one......ouch $$$, or get a HH/SS.....ouchish$$.
    I know that there are many threads on this, but is it really that hard to put one together out of a sleeping bag? Has anyone has success with this plan? What about protecting the bottom of the UQ from the weather? Any plans out there?
    I live in WNY and camp with the Boy Scouts all year long. I don't want to go to ground during our Klondike Derby any more so it has to handle the cold.

I'm just a noob myself but from lurking the forum I noticed people mention the Under Quilt protector from 2qzq:

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html

If you were planning a down UQ (home made or purchased), something like this can provide extra rain protection.

I am having the same struggle with this decision as well. I have the HH exped zip, and I have read the "mixed" reviews on the supershelter. I feel like the SS is a little overpriced for what it is (a foam pad and an undercover). I was waiting for the annual "odds and ends" sale from Hennessy Hammock to see if I could get a better deal. I just got the email this morning, and they have a few supershelters...but they are $139...the same price as on their site. They are in "woodland camo" so maybe that explains why.
    Last edited by Mak; 10-01-2012 at 07:20.

Hammock
    Woodsman X proto
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ukhammocks TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies+dutchware
    I've used both. If it were me I'd go UQ. So far the down UQ I've got just seems simpler, easier and possibly warmer. Smaller pack size and easier to handle than the foam layer of the HHSS.

The SS isn't a bad thing and I've not been cold with it but I prefer the down version, if only because I avoid having to squeeze the foam layer back into its bag.

Never been cold with either though so not faulting performance.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    With your bottom entry I am not sure how I would go. I have not used the SS but I have a couple quilts for my zip expedition, and love them. having said that I really want to try the SS as I think it would be a good system to have as it can cover a very large temperature range. After all that I would say, you have the down bag and it will make an excellent quilt so start with that.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Still Researching
    Suspension
    Stock
    I am in the same boat as you, but I decided to bite the bullet and go with a down UQ. I figure with the amount of time I spend camping with the scouts and without that it is worth the expense.

Images
    I know, that's crazy about the HHSS odds-ends sale price! Several people here have been waiting for that, big disappointment. I guess we have become spoiled, considering last time I picked up an extra I think they were $100 including the over cover! I guess there are never any guarantees when it comes to a sale. It must be the woodland camo thing, I didn't even know they had those.

But, it sounds like a good idea to just rig up your bag into an UQ if you guys have the sewing skills! You have to get it so that there are no drafts on the ends or sides, that will be the big factor. Plus, unless the bag has some kind of differential cut ( unlikely ) you will have to learn to adjust the tension so that there are no drafts, AND so that the UQ is just snugly contacting your back but NOT tight enough to significantly compress the loft. That is a new factor that you don't really have to deal with if the bag is just laying on top of you in normal use. But it is possible to pull an UQ tight enough to flatten the loft, which you obviously do not want.

But if you can get some shock cord sewn in place to accomplish that, your sleeping bag may work fine!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Also, Dutch sells the quilt hooks that you can use to help keep your UQ up against your hammock. They work great. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    You have some options so that's the good thing. You can send out your current hammock to 2QZQ for a zipper mod and you will be good to go with any UQ or sleeping bag mod. You can also do it yourself (many have). Also, they have UQ protectors as well for sale but it might also give you some idea of what a DIY would look like.
    Finally, many people use netless hammocks in the winter. simple to make and work will all kinds of modded UQ's. Might be a consideratino if you are really looking to use that sleeping bag.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios
    Thanks for the input. I'm still going to think on it some more. My wife wants to try a poncho liner as an UQ cover. Velcro the down bag to the inside top of the liner to keep things lofty. It's hard to explain but she made sense to me when she was describing it.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    dude buy a u q i have only had my mount washington 3 on three outings only ,,its like being spooned by pamela anderson on a cold night i cant believe the warmth,i bet that description will sell you on it... lol.sorry the u q does not have the bumpy parts.

• + New Posts