Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog ate hammock

Dog ate hammock

So my friend's puppy ripped my hammock into shreds last night. It was a hennessey ultralite asymetrical backpacker. So now my friend is going to buy me a new one but i'm not sure I want to go with the same model. I'm not sure I liked that you entered the hammock from the bottom, and I definitely didn't like the tiny rain fly that came with it. What hammock would you buy for under $200 that weighs around the same (but probably more because of a bigger tarp)?

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    HH ultra or hyper lite with a MacCat deluxe tarp.
    Last edited by Dos; 12-08-2011 at 08:49. Reason: cuz I can't spell without a cup of tea!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Warbonnet BlackBird? Might be able to use existing tarp..
    (I just like the BB...wish I had one of my own!)

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    You gotta tell more of that story man...How did it happen!?!?

Check out Wilderness Logics. They're darn comfortable hammocks and the tarps are very nice. They even make UQ's & TQ's.
    All made in the USA too!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Second this. I love my WBBB.
    Buddy of mine is selling one he bought about 1 year ago...supposedly it was never taken out of the stuff sack. He started teaching a Sunday School class, and has not been able to camp with the troop for over a year.
    PM me if you want his email address.

Oh, and the question everyone is waiting for the answer to: Did the dog make it out alive?

Well my friend said she wanted to borrow my hammock and try it out one night. She was thinking about buying one. She says she hung it up and went back in side to eat dinner or something and that when she came back her puppy had ripped it down and was ripping it to shreds. She said she didn't think her puppy would reach it, but apparently it could. She must have not set it up right if the dog was able to rip it down. Really I don't know what happened, but she said the dog ripped through the bottom fabric and mosquito net and that there was no salvaging it.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Was your homework in it?!!

I myself am not a fan of the classic entry as well. Whatever you do choose, I would consider a zip hammock this time around. I would also most likely move to a larger hammock as well - Explorer model or a Warbonnet Blackbird. Made a huge difference to me. Finally, one of the first lessons when I begun hammock camping was that the Hennesy tarps simply did not work for me. So give consideration to a decent tarp - Guide Gear (cheap but heavy), OES MacCat Deluxe (great tarp, good coverage decent price), Warbonnet Superfly (fantastic 4 season, like a castle) - you won't regret it.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    all i can think of since i read this is "the dingo ate me baby" LOL
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

And I'm stressing that I need a light hammock. I'm thru-hiking the A.T. next year with it. And I guess i'm just stressing the hammock and not the tarp. I'll just buy a 8x10 silnylon tarp elsewhere, I was already planning on buying it.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Well then if you want light check out a WB Traveler or a WL Light Owl. And you know it will depend on what fabric weight you need and whether or not you'll want a double or single layer hammock. Then the suspension you use can help you lighten up too. Are you a pad or under quilt guy? If you use a pad, you deff. want a double layer so you aren't fighting the pad all night. But if you're going with an under quilt you can get away with a single layer depending on your weight.
    I hope I haven't confused you more...but study and trying out others hammock rigs can help you decide. Attend a hang if you can to get more acquainted with the different types & methods.

I fell bad for your friend. I would be mortified if that happened to me when borrowing expensive gear.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast