Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps

Expedition questions

Hey guys,

Looking to get the Expedition as present for myself this holiday season. Reviewing the specs on the HH site, this setup comes in at 2lbs and 9oz. If I we're to replace the suspension with the whoopies I have as well as replace the stock the straps, etc. How much of the weight will be decreased by doing this?

I wanted to get the Hyperlite, however, since I weigh about 215lbs...I might break the darn thing - per site specs, it has a 200lbs limit on the material used.

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    If i remember correctly, that weight is inclusive of the tarp (I believe). I haven't removed my stock suspension as of yet but just the hammock weighs in around 32 ounces. Once I switch it to whoopies, I believe I will get under 28oz.

Not to dissuade you from your purchase, but have you tried an Exped? I ask because I have one and at 5'8"-9" or so, I tend to find it a little small for me (a little confining). I am moving to the Explorer and I think this will open Hennessy back up for me. And with the option to purchase the hammock without the tarp - that can work nicely.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I would go with the Explorer Ultralight which is good to 250 lbs and is 7'. The expeditions is only good up to 6' which to me is short. I like more room in a hammock. If you go with the shorter model, you may regret it later. I would recommend the explorer Ultralight, which cost more, but if you end up not liking the short Expedition, you will have wasted your money. Get what you think will be good the first time around and it will last you a long time. Just my $.02. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Thanks for the input guys. I haven't thought of the Explorer or the Exp Ultra...a limit of 6ft would be small for me so I might go with the longer length one. Personally, I haven't tried any Henny hammocks yet...only experience I have is with my DIY 1.9 which is around 10ft. long and suits me great. I'm just looking to upgrade to an all-in-one system for under $250 that I can go on the ground with just in case...I know, it's blasphemy...ground? Sadly, the places I hike sometimes does not offer adequate trees.

Having the option to go to the ground with my hammock will allow me to bring and use one system and I will be prepared regardless of the situation. I'm definitely looking to have a sub 3lbs system since my other gear (sleeping bag) is quite heavy at 4lbs.

• + New Posts