Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Images
    Hi Jayson,

I'll let the others with more experience answer you as I'm not sure. I have a HH Exp. that I use in the summer, but I'm going to try a Eureka Chrysalis for the winter hang. I'm intending to use an Exped 7 mat and a sleeping bag.

I have a question for the others who have been to Valens before. Is the store open to buy firewood or will we need to bring our own? I wasn't able to call to find out. Also, the website says no fires other than at designated fire pits. I wanted to try a new wood stove I got for my canvas tent. Has anyone brought a wood stove before to Valens? Thanks.

Mongrel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post

I have a question for the others who have been to Valens before. Is the store open to buy firewood or will we need to bring our own? I wasn't able to call to find out. Also, the website says no fires other than at designated fire pits. I wanted to try a new wood stove I got for my canvas tent. Has anyone brought a wood stove before to Valens? Thanks.

Mongrel
    In the past people have bought wood locally before going into the conservation area. IIRC [o]TTer mentioned a TSC store nearby. I'll probably bring a bag.

We have played with wood stoves before (evident by a large circular indentation on one of the picnic tables eh Brian). I have used my bushbuddy there and Brian has use his DIY woodstove in his canvas condo as well so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Hey Bubba,

Good to see you found your 123R.

It'll be good to see some sub zeros to test out the reactor underquilt. I have just acquired a SB 1.9 DL, but think for the sake of warmth i'm going to stick with a heat trough (i.e. lazy ryvr bridge).

Ryvr is in mad scientist mode for the next few weeks, so we may get to see some new prototypes. I'm pretty interested in what comes out of the new fusion.

P.s. Shh! no incriminating evidence on the internet forums! What chared hexagon???

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    Hey Bubba,

Good to see you found your 123R.

It'll be good to see some sub zeros to test out the reactor underquilt. I have just acquired a SB 1.9 DL, but think for the sake of warmth i'm going to stick with a heat trough (i.e. lazy ryvr bridge).

Ryvr is in mad scientist mode for the next few weeks, so we may get to see some new prototypes. I'm pretty interested in what comes out of the new fusion.

P.s. Shh! no incriminating evidence on the internet forums! What chared hexagon???
    Hey Dan,

I have to clarify for a fellow gear *****. I first bought a 123R (new version made off shore). I then acquired a 40 year old 123 (made in Sweden). After some research I then wanted to acquire a 123R that was made in Sweden. Still no luck

I think the evidence has been lost.

Looking forward to checking out the new insulation. I'll be using my SBLH and would like to see the regular SB. I've already seen the heat trough.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    Hi Jayson,

Mongrel

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    We have played with wood stoves before (evident by a large circular indentation on one of the picnic tables eh Brian). I have used my bushbuddy there and Brian has use his DIY woodstove in his canvas condo as well so it shouldn't be a problem.
    I know not what you speak of, Bubba, The picnic table with the perfectly burnt in hexagon from a Vargo Titanium Hex wood stove is nowhere to be seen.

As for firewood, it is available for sale by the bag at the main gate. Mongrel, Bubba is right, I have brought a DIY woodstove (based off a large canning pot) to use in my Canvas Wedge Tent. If you want to see it, look for the Trip Report from the Ontario Second Chance Hang (3rd of October 2011). So it would appear that I'm not the only one with a canvas hot tent for winter camping.

Looking forward to seeing your setup, Mongrel.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Hey Dan,

I have to clarify for a fellow gear *****. I first bought a 123R (new version made off shore). I then acquired a 40 year old 123 (made in Sweden). After some research I then wanted to acquire a 123R that was made in Sweden. Still no luck

I think the evidence has been lost.

Looking forward to checking out the new insulation. I'll be using my SBLH and would like to see the regular SB. I've already seen the heat trough.
    Alas! The search continues. I'll be sure to bring out the other SB for you to have a gander at. (Did I mention it has the 2QZQ RW Mod?, for the gear *****s in the audience. lol.)

Hey, if I didn't buy gear I'd likely smoke, drink, or gamble. Man needs a vice, right brother?

Dan.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Wow thanks for the reply. We included the Hennessy Double Bubble Radiant Pad as part of our order so we have that. Was thinking that wrapped in a fleece blanket under us with a 7° cheappy mummy bag inside a cheappy 5° rectangular bag.
    Would bring a couple blankets in the car as backup as well.

If we come...which looks good we will bring some fire wood. I cut and sell heating wood as "Hobby" so we have lots.

Will know for sure by first of next week.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Wow thanks for the reply. We included the Hennessy Double Bubble Radiant Pad as part of our order so we have that. Was thinking that wrapped in a fleece blanket under us with a 7° cheappy mummy bag inside a cheappy 5° rectangular bag.
    Would bring a couple blankets in the car as backup as well.

If we come...which looks good we will bring some fire wood. I cut and sell heating wood as "Hobby" so we have lots.

Will know for sure by first of next week.
    Looking forward to having you out!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Jayson,

If you can make it out, Valen's is a great place to test your winter gear for a couple of reasons...

1. There are heated washrooms a stone throw away where you can warm up
    2. Your car is onsite and can be loaded with extra blankets, clothes, etc...
    3. Odds are that home is only a short to moderate drive away in the event of a full-scale bail
    4. BrianWillan has a beautiful heated tent to retreat to
    5. There'll be quite a few experienced cold weather hangers who will be happy to make sure you're tucked in for the night (in a gear check way, mind you)
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

at the moment i don't see anything preventing me from attending

it would be nice to test out my new Leighlo 20 deg FLUQ and test it out on the Hennessy and my Eureka hammock. and i may also have my BCB to play around with too.

I may need some help rigging up my Leiglo quilt to hennessy and my Eureka hammocks.

I will know for sure if i am coming closer to the date. I hope to be there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast