Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a 1.7 double and consider the weight worth it to me as I can use a pad in between the layers and know it will stay put plus the double layers helps keep the skeeters out and I live skeeter heaven, we call them "down east humming birds". Of course I also treat my hammocks.

You could get a Arrowhead UQ. As most of their UQs are synthetic they will insulate even when wet and will pack up smaller than a foam pad. Weight will be about the same. Of course a pad is better if you have to go to ground.

Hopefully you can test your set up before hitting the trail.

What ever your choice, have a great hike and let us know how it goes.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    My suggestion would be to ditch the thermarest. It's not needed in a hammock, and it a lot of extra weight. Get one of Brandon's underquilts! Best investment I've ever made for hammocking.
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    OP: Go to a thread Warbonnetguy started himself 9 months ago on protection from insect bites. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...67&postcount=1

hello all, there's been some talk on another manufactuer's site where they were boasting about having the only hammock model in the world that has bite-proof hammock fabric. regardless of the validity of this statement, it got me wondering, has anybody experienced bite through in any of my models when laying directly on the fabric with nothing under them? which model? double layer or single layer?

folks occasionally ask about mosquitoes biting through, i don't "think" they can bite through either double layer model or the single 1.1, but am not sure about the single 1.7. anybody care to share their experience?

Then, there was nobody....... NOBODY...... who allowed ever being bitten in a WBBB, one or two layers. Now, in contrast, the threat of skeeters thrusts its bloodsucking feeders through the first layer of nylon!!

I'd suggest that unless you know you're as comfortable as you can be sleeping on a pad, that you 1. explore the likelihood that a pad between layers will be more comfortable, and 2. that no pad at all, an UQ, is far more comfortable. There's still the question of stiffness of lay. But, the insect bite thing? Well, you judge whether last year's flood of unanimous responses from WBBB users was authentic then.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about skeeters with any option. I would certainly consider an underquilt if I were you. It'll make life much warmer and comfortable. I'd go with a 3 season or summer with an extra ounce of down if you're tough, haha.

I hear a pad in the double layer is more comfortable, but I've only tried with a single layer, and while its not the easiest to get comfortable, it'll work. If I were hiking 15-25 miles a day for 4-6 months, I'm sure I'd choose to save the weight and go with a single layer since after that milage, I'm sure I'd be out like a light quick.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12