Dream-Hammock Roaming Gnome custom
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG & Marmot
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings

40* Phoenix vs 20*

I have been using a DIY PLUQ and thermarest camprest deluxe pad in both my ENO Dbl and new to me WBBB here in the mild Pacific Northwest and have found it to be just a bit cool between 30* & 40*. I decided to order myself a late Christmas/early B-day present in the form of a 40* Phoenix and am now somewhat biting my nails over the decision, maybe should have gone 20*... My thought was that this is primarily a non-winter sport for, me read not below freezing, and most likely a motorcycle camping kind of setup, maybe some summer hiking. My thought was that this lighter version would have the most seasonal use and not be as likely to "overheat" in the summer/fall when I expect to use it the most. If I wanted to go cooler I could add clothing and or pads. Just looking for validation of the thought process while i might still be able to modify my order I places last night.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I would say 20 degree if you can change it (I bet you can). I assume being in WA, you will be camping in the mountains in the summer and it can get pretty cool at night. You should err on the side of "too warm" because you can always ventilate. I use my 20 degree Incubator in the mountains during the summer, no problem. Unless you are counting ounces or grams, I would go with a full length Incubator instead. You will be much happier, IMO.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    You won't overheat in a 20, but you will underheat in a 40. You can vent a 20 and use it on up until 60 while retaining the ability to go colder. OTOH, the 40 is pretty much just good to 40. I might consider a 40 if I already had a 20, but if I had neither, I'd go with the 20 first.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    You won't overheat in a 20, but you will underheat in a 40. You can vent a 20 and use it on up until 60 while retaining the ability to go colder. OTOH, the 40 is pretty much just good to 40. I might consider a 40 if I already had a 20, but if I had neither, I'd go with the 20 first.
    Agreed, I have a 20 Phoenix overfilled that I use year round in Michigan. Can always vent it a little. Easier to compensate to get cooler than it is to get warmer. I would go with 20 first for sure.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    yeah, i'd go 20* ... i've thought about adding a 40* UQ, but it just gets too cold over night in the cascades to be consistently pushing the limits of a 40* quilt.
    rather have too much, than not enough.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG & Marmot
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    E-mailed back and forth with Jenny and changed my order to a 20*, sent some extra bucks to them and just received the shipping notification today! Going to the Olympic National Forest in two weeks for a hang. Still taking along the pads but this should definitely be warmer than my poncho liner DIYUQ, heck might not even need the pad!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
    E-mailed back and forth with Jenny and changed my order to a 20*, sent some extra bucks to them and just received the shipping notification today! Going to the Olympic National Forest in two weeks for a hang. Still taking along the pads but this should definitely be warmer than my poncho liner DIYUQ, heck might not even need the pad!
    Those pads will make for a nice dry place to keep your boots under the hammock as you probably won't be needing them with that 20* Phoenix. You won't regret the upgrade.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG & Marmot
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    Venting a 20* vs trying to warm up a 40* was the tipping point thanks for all the input!

• + New Posts