Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images

Claytor "correct knot" vs. ring/buckles question

This question may overlap with Billybob58's question below, and maybe needs to go in the suspension systems forum.

I understand the necessity of going to 1" polypro or polyester webbing, but why is everyone (seemingly) switching to cinch buckles or rings? Is it just convenience, setup speed and adjustability? Or is there an inherent flaw in the "correct knot" as suggested for the Claytor hammocks? Is slippage an issue that warrants addressing with an adjustable system? Simply the desire to customize? Some other factor I may be missing?

I have the poly webbing courtesy of tiedown straps. I was going to pre-order a bunch of the parts while waiting for the hammock to arrive, but am now wondering why complicate the issue if it simple works. It's not going to get that much use. According to my calculations, a buckle or ring set up with 6' of 1" webbing ea. side will be the same weight or more than the 12' of 1" webbing, so nothing gained there.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by urbansix View Post
    Is it just convenience, setup speed and adjustability? Or is there an inherent flaw in the "correct knot" as suggested for the Claytor hammocks? Is slippage an issue that warrants addressing with an adjustable system? Simply the desire to customize? Some other factor I may be missing?
    You aren't missing anything at all. There is no problem with using knots for hanging the hammock.

Most suspension modifications are done out of desire to improve the function or versatility, not to correct a design flaw.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    This question may overlap with Billybob58's question below, and maybe needs to go in the suspension systems forum.

I understand the necessity of going to 1" polypro or polyester webbing, but why is everyone (seemingly) switching to cinch buckles or rings? Is it just convenience, setup speed and adjustability? Or is there an inherent flaw in the "correct knot" as suggested for the Claytor hammocks? Is slippage an issue that warrants addressing with an adjustable system? Simply the desire to customize? Some other factor I may be missing?

I have the poly webbing courtesy of tiedown straps. I was going to pre-order a bunch of the parts while waiting for the hammock to arrive, but am now wondering why complicate the issue if it simple works. It's not going to get that much use. According to my calculations, a buckle or ring set up with 6' of 1" webbing ea. side will be the same weight or more than the 12' of 1" webbing, so nothing gained there.
    i prefer the ring buckle set upneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Cinch buckles rule.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I love cinch buckles. I used to own a 60 second tent. Now I have a 60 second hammock. When I have groups to take care of that extra time and less hassle means a lot to me. I don't want to mess with knots.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Jacks'R'Better tri-glides are also an option

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    ................ Is it just convenience, setup speed and adjustability?
    Yes, IMO. I have used both. CBs are great, but the basic Claytor set up seems to work just fine. I'd say it is significantly more convenient than the HH rope and webbing, for ex. Though that is fine also, just takes a few more minutes and is more time needed if you need to readjust.

Or is there an inherent flaw in the "correct knot" as suggested for the Claytor hammocks? .
    Nope. None that is apparent. I do worry about the webbing on webbing causing the material to melt, thus weakening it. But surely if this was a problem, TC would be hearing from folks who have suffered a fall. I have e-mailed him re: some of these concerns but have not heard back from him yet.

Is slippage an issue that warrants addressing with an adjustable system? Simply the desire to customize? Some other factor I may be missing?
    No slippage for me or mine. My 205 lb son used his this weekend ( mine is changed to CBs and wider webbing) and had zero slippage. And if there was any stretch, it was not enough of a factor to cause any trouble. ( I'm sure there was some- rope and hammock- since neither of us had slept in them before.)

I have the poly webbing courtesy of tiedown straps. I was going to pre-order a bunch of the parts while waiting for the hammock to arrive, but am now wondering why complicate the issue if it simple works.
    That has been the attitude my son is taking. He is happy with it, but we both realize water may be an issue and we have to test for that with appropriate drip lines. I doubted the strength,that is the main reason I wanted to change. Plus ther CBs give automatic protection from water wicking/running down the line. But once I ascertain they are reliably strong, and if I can control the water, I may switch back. They are certainly the lightest option, though changing to some spiderline and tree huggers might be even lighter, and surely stronger. Though a slight PITA compared to other systems.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-13-2008 at 17:00.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Cinch buckles rule.
    Right on Bro!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Rings rule.

"... and one ring to bind them all ..."

Fantastic! story. If you've never read the trilogy "Lord of the Rings" then you need to pack it on your next trip. Wonderful, fun story.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hex SilNyl
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ
    Suspension
    All in One
    Nope. None that is apparent. I do worry about the webbing on webbing causing the material to melt, thus weakening it. But surely if this was a problem, TC would be hearing from folks who have suffered a fall. I have e-mailed him re: some of these concerns but have not heard back from him yet.
    I ditched the stock webbing that I got with the JH.
    I was going to sew a loop on one end of the new webbing. Put the webbing thru the end of the hammock, back thru the loop and tie off to the tree using a wrap. Seems simple enough, but is there a chance that the webbing going thru the loop will cause weakening ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast