Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

Insultex Confusion

I'm looking at making my own quilts, but am confused about what I read regarding Insultex.

I've been reading about the extraordinary claims by the makers of Insultex, and it appears they are not supported by independent reviews. The manufacturer's web site states "Barrier against cold, down to minus 13 degrees F." and "One layer = -13 degrees F. (2.0 CLO value) Independent reviewers state that in real life applications they found the product did not keep them warm, and even at 35 degrees f they were shivering.

What's the current consensus about this on HF?

If I intend to use a make a quilt with a synthetic insulator, am I best to use Climashield, Primaloft or 3M Thinsulate?
    Last edited by dimeotane; 12-11-2011 at 16:29.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I've never found thinsulate to live up to the hype. I also couldn't stay warm in moderate temps with a triple layer of IX. I'd probably go with anything other than those two.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    I think this is probably a misunderstanding by the DIY community regarding the way the information is presented. I think what you're seeing there is that each layer will reduce the temp rating of a given insulation system by 13F. So a 30F system will become a 17F system.

A CLO of 2 is approximately twice the insulation if an average wool business suit. That isn't -13F even if you're extremely active.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I think this is probably a misunderstanding by the DIY community regarding the way the information is presented. I think what you're seeing there is that each layer will reduce the temp rating of a given insulation system by 13F. So a 30F system will become a 17F system.

A CLO of 2 is approximately twice the insulation if an average wool business suit. That isn't -13F even if you're extremely active.
    Y'know, that actually makes a lot of sense in view of what the majority of folks have been saying about three-layer IX quilts. They're supposed to get you down in the 30 to 40 F range, which, if you start at 70 (the point at which most folks want to start using bottom insulation), is just about right for that.

70 - (3*13) = 31
    70 - 39 = 31

So, just about right.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    If I intend to use a make a quilt with a synthetic insulator, am I best to use Climashield, Primaloft or 3M Thinsulate?
    Out of those 3 I would pick Climashield. The issue, with synthetic insulation is that it is heavier than down and doesn't compress to the same degree.

What temperature range are you shooting for with your underquilt? Keep in mind you can always use CCF pads in conjunction with and underquilt to keep you warm in temps beyond the rating of your underquilt.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Out of those 3 I would pick Climashield. The issue, with synthetic insulation is that it is heavier than down and doesn't compress to the same degree.

What temperature range are you shooting for with your underquilt? Keep in mind you can always use CCF pads in conjunction with and underquilt to keep you warm in temps beyond the rating of your underquilt.

Cheers

Brian
    I was thinking about Climashield APEX or Primaloft One, but it appears that there's only a few places online I can buy the best quality synthetic insulation, and each of them want $25 shipping to Canada for a few yards. So unless I get in on a group buy I doubt I'll bother with that.

Considering that I can buy a good quality, ready to use -10c down sleeping bag for $120 including shipping, (MEC Cygnet) I'd have to be able to get insulation for making one myself pretty inexpensively to make my time worth while.

Agreed, overall, I think I'll be stacking quilts and pads to reach colder temperatures. I'd like to be prepared in case of cold winter temps like (-30) eventually. At the same time, I'd like to be able to carry my gear, so lighter is better.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    I recently made a full lenght UQ using Climashield 6.0, layered between a top and bottom layer of IX. I'm reasonably sure it will work with temps lower than 30*. I've used it twice but the temps were in the low 40's and high 30's. Going out this coming weekend, it should go down to the mid to low 20's so I'll know for sure. IX doesn't like to compress that well, so either make or purchase a compression bag for it, or it will comsume a fair amount of volume in your backpack. I also completed my TQ with the same materials, so I'll be finding out how it all works this weekend for sure.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have found Insultex to be a great add-on to my climashield UQ. I also have a DIY 3 layer IQ UQ. It kept me reasonably warm, but trapped too much moisture... (ok, I'm a sweater... I guess) I sleep cold, and often have CBS. I found that a layer of IX complements the climashield nicely.

If you're making a synthetic UQ, I'd consider making a removable layer of IX to extend the range of your UQ... It's light for the extra warmth.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    ok so now i'm confused. I guess my plans for making a three layer IX quilt for winter use are oit the window. I thought i had read on the forums about people gettin to low temps with it? It sounded a little too good to be true. Thanks for clearing some of that up guys.

Hammock
    WBBB & Traveler,ENO
    Insulation
    HG.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks to all ! I was about to make a UQ with IX, and the info. was an eye opener. You all just saved me a lot of time & money. Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast