Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I wouldn't say not using the shelf tie-out makes the shelf unusable. I took the tie-outs off my WBBB bc I never use them, but I always use the shelf. Putting heavy stuff in there makes it lean against me, which isn't very comfortable, but anything less than a liter of water and my headlamp is fine.

Just different strokes for different folks. I ended up rarely using the tie-outs on the HH either.
    Jeff is right. I often put heavier things in the shelf, but you can put lighter things in there without using the tie out.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    awesome info guys..i appreciate it.

has anyone tried to integrate the shelf tie outs with their tarp set up? i was thinking like mitten clips and shock cord, similar to hennessy. Using a hex tarp this would give you 2 points to clip to and could work nicely. Either way, I'll plan on trying it and will let you know my results.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

maybe

The Blackbird size compares to the Explorer not the Expedition. The Expedition is a smaller hammock.

I prefer the Hennessy when hiking solo. I often do not cook where I sleep, thus the amount of time in camp is very limited. The hammock and fly suspended from the same line is very efficient. The diamond fly only needs two stakes.

When I camp with a group the side entry and a big ol' hex tarp is really nice.

I have a Blackbird and an Explorer and use both. Match the tool to the job.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

side pull outs

I do not use the side pull-outs on either the Hennessy or Blackbird. The side pull outs do make pictures of the hammocks look more inviting.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    The Blackbird size compares to the Explorer not the Expedition. The Expedition is a smaller hammock.

I prefer the Hennessy when hiking solo. I often do not cook where I sleep, thus the amount of time in camp is very limited. The hammock and fly suspended from the same line is very efficient. The diamond fly only needs two stakes.

When I camp with a group the side entry and a big ol' hex tarp is really nice.

I have a Blackbird and an Explorer and use both. Match the tool to the job.
    Thanks food, thats a really good point. Although, I'm hesitant to bring the diamond fly on an extended hike just for safety factor reasons..I feel that in varied conditions and consistent nights out the hex fly will end up being more successful, especially if i encounter some sideways rain. I could be wrong though. Also, wouldn't it be possible to suspend just about any tarp from the Hennessy suspension, and similarly the warbonnet suspension using prusiks?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

extended hike?

Hiking long trails is simply a series of hikes about a week long. Most hikes in the US you can resupply fairly often. A diamond fly is enough to keep you dry if you set up correctly and in sheltered locations. Frankly, I would not carry a fly that would keep me dry in an hurricane to hike the AT. I would get a hotel in town until it blew over.

I own several hex flys, but use a diamond fly when hiking solo. The length of the trip or the weather forcast has very little to do with my selection of flys.

When I am camping I use a hex fly, when I am hiking I use a diamond fly.

I have never been able to figure out how to suspend my fly from the hammock straps, but I am sure some of the creative people on the Forum will be able to figure out a way.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Course, most folks don't attache the tarp- any tarp- to the HH suspension anyway, but tie it directly to the trees. But I have never felt "covered" doing that with the diamond HH tarp, not after I get in and the hammock sags down.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Hiking long trails is simply a series of hikes about a week long. Most hikes in the US you can resupply fairly often. A diamond fly is enough to keep you dry if you set up correctly and in sheltered locations. Frankly, I would not carry a fly that would keep me dry in an hurricane to hike the AT. I would get a hotel in town until it blew over.

I own several hex flys, but use a diamond fly when hiking solo. The length of the trip or the weather forcast has very little to do with my selection of flys.

When I am camping I use a hex fly, when I am hiking I use a diamond fly.

I have never been able to figure out how to suspend my fly from the hammock straps, but I am sure some of the creative people on the Forum will be able to figure out a way.
    these are really good points food...obviously i am new to the whole rhythm of thru hiking. I think i will seriously consider just using my diamond tarp with these points in mind. With straps i think it would be more complicated, but with lines it should be easy to just use the prusik hooks that HH supplies on just about any type of line i would imagine. My whoopies are in the mail so i cant say yet for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Course, most folks don't attache the tarp- any tarp- to the HH suspension anyway, but tie it directly to the trees. But I have never felt "covered" doing that with the diamond HH tarp, not after I get in and the hammock sags down.
    I have seen this, and for awhile i was tempted to attach my tarp directly to the trees. It does have its advantages..being able to set up the tarp separately/before the hammock so as to keep dry, being able to set the height of the tarp, having the option to just use a tarp for cooking, etc. I think I am with you though, billybob, at least for simplicity's sake its nice to just attach the fly to the suspension lines and to keep the fly in line with the hammock, especially with limited coverage like a diamond fly

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    OES MCD, WB SF
    Insulation
    WL T/UQ,HG 0* T/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've attached my WBBB side tie outs to the stakes for my tarp. Worked like a champ, using the shock cord they came rigged with. 2 less stakes that time but now I tie off to whatever trail sticks are around. Definitely opened it right up. I'm the same height as you and always use the foot box. It make the lay almost totally flat.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    I am about 6' and 180 lbs, I currently use a HHULBA and have been very happy with it. I, too, have considered a Zipper mod. Recently, I convinced my hiking partner to try hammock camping. He purchased a double layer BB(he is around 5'9" 240lbs) from Wbonnet and I was able to try it out. I would say that the material feels silky soft (to me) and the interior was more roomy than the HH, the shelf is a nice feature compared to the HH ridgeline organizer hitting me in the head. I have been seriously considering purchasing a WBBB because of all of its options. But I really like some of my HH options, too.

A point that may have been mentioned before on this thread is the HH's bottom entry has its benefits that I have experienced. 1.) A smaller tarp is sufficient when you do not need room for top entry. 2.) When mosquitos are bad, I like the idea of opening the bottom entry and shoving stuff in quickly, as well as being able to sit in and sit back and it is sealed.

Bottom line: If you can afford to puchase a WBBB and keep you HH setup, you will have options that your trip may determine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast