HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Nojack View Post
    I am about 6' and 180 lbs, I currently use a HHULBA and have been very happy with it. I, too, have considered a Zipper mod. Recently, I convinced my hiking partner to try hammock camping. He purchased a double layer BB(he is around 5'9" 240lbs) from Wbonnet and I was able to try it out. I would say that the material feels silky soft (to me) and the interior was more roomy than the HH, the shelf is a nice feature compared to the HH ridgeline organizer hitting me in the head. I have been seriously considering purchasing a WBBB because of all of its options. But I really like some of my HH options, too.

A point that may have been mentioned before on this thread is the HH's bottom entry has its benefits that I have experienced. 1.) A smaller tarp is sufficient when you do not need room for top entry. 2.) When mosquitos are bad, I like the idea of opening the bottom entry and shoving stuff in quickly, as well as being able to sit in and sit back and it is sealed.

Bottom line: If you can afford to puchase a WBBB and keep you HH setup, you will have options that your trip may determine.

haha, thats a good point on needing some more room for a side entry. Its funny the things you never think of until you try a system. So simple and seemingly obvious.

Also, a side note - I had difficulty attaching the fly directly to the whoopie slings. The problem is that the prusiks wanted to lie directly on top of the sheath for the bury. With some planning, I suppose it would be possible to make the bury at the proper distance so it would work. What I tried to do was make really long prusiks that started past the bury and reached the fly. Problem there was any tension on the prusiks pulled the sheath closer to the hammock and effectively loosened it, making the hammock drop to the ground. Also, long prusiks meant you could "pull" the fly the length of the prusik to either side when you stake it out. Meaning my 6inch prusiks allowed 6 inches of side to side play in the tarp depending on how you pitched it. I cant figure a way to make it work without remaking some whoopies.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Honestly, you're just better off all the way around rigging the fly seperately from the hammock.

I don't rig mine on a seperate ridgeline...found that I do fine just using tie outs to the trees on either end and tensioning with Fig 9s to position it properly.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Honestly, you're just better off all the way around rigging the fly seperately from the hammock.

I don't rig mine on a seperate ridgeline...found that I do fine just using tie outs to the trees on either end and tensioning with Fig 9s to position it properly.
    Thanks owl, I think I'm going to end up rigging the fly separately after playing around with it some. Although I think i may end up choosing a ridgeline setup to mess around with, like the one sold by whoopie

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Someone on here rigs the foot end of the tarp to the hammock line and ties the head end to the tree. Never tried it myself, but seems like it may be a decent middle ground for an easy setup. Might still cause the tarp to sag, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Someone on here rigs the foot end of the tarp to the hammock line and ties the head end to the tree. Never tried it myself, but seems like it may be a decent middle ground for an easy setup. Might still cause the tarp to sag, though.
    sounds interesting..im going to try to dig it up

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    I love my Hennessey. Don't think of it as switching. Think of it as expanding on your options. Your Hennessey is a great second hammock. Kept in a large snakeskin with the integrated tarp it is a nice quick setup. On a real cold camp I might bring my HH with the super shelter system AND a UQ, just to be safe. However, for the other 3 seasons the WBBB is a great versatile hammock. The shelf, the footbox, the side entry, and the ability to pull the mesh off and see the stars on a cold spring evening, make the WBBB a work of art.

Different kit for different trips. But whichever you choose, you have to switch out to Whoopies and Dutch Clips (IMHO), and a nice big, light tarp with Zing-it lines and Tarp Flyz. Lots of people put so much focus on the hammock they miss the value of a good tarp. Remember a tarp is extremely versatile. At times I'll bring my USGI Bivy sack a thermarest pad and my tarp. If you're not ready for the big bucks, make one out of Tyvek (you might get a roll end for free if you have a buddy who builds houses) and simply use zing-it with sheet bends at the corners (there's good caternary patterns here in the forums). With all that wonderful lightness you'll love carrying your pack.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    more numbers to add to the crunch...
    I've got 2 HH's now and 5 Warbonnetts and 2 Warbonnet clones.

On the tie outs. I used them this past weekend-2cd time in forever. I used the BBO (bear burrito oven) to get some needed added F's...outside was 32F inside was 42F via my Brunton thermo.

HH's got me back off the ground, used them for years. Was looking for replacement for an HH Lite Racer, someone mentioned Warbonnet...the rest is in my financial history. Brandon gets my money for hammocks and for recommendations.

BUT hammocking is a fluid environment. Things change and can change quickly....there are now hammocks on the market where you can change the lay while lying in the hammock. Just saying.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234