Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

has anyone tried multiple UQ's?

I may be able to kill 2 birds with one stone here. In September, I took my 6 year old son on hist first backpacking overnighter, and naturally we both hung. He had a blast.

It was my first night to try my new 3/4 40º Phoenix UQ, and I loved it. My son used my older thermarest setup (I know, I know, what kind if dad am I? Well, let me finish). The lows that night were barely in the 50's, so everyone was comfortable.

Anyway, I was thinking. I chose the 40º 3/4 length UQ for warmer trips, maybe I should get another 40º full length UQ (Incubator). This way, my son can use the 3/4 length, and I can use the full-length on our seasonal outings together. Then, I can use both together for colder outings with my friends. I'd hope to get to 20º or so comfortably doubled-up like that.

I mentioned this idea to my wife, and she didn't dismiss me completely, which is always a good sign

Does anyone here use a similar setup? I'd probably have to ask for some extra width. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, the general consesus was that they would work together, using the 3/4 over the top of the full length to avoid any air gaps between the layers.

I should be testing the theory this weekend

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - lots of folks do that. I've done it several times. JRB's 4-season set comes with three quilts...you stack the Nest and NS on bottom, then use the ORM as a TQ. It's been sold that way since about 2004.

The key is making sure the suspension system is flexible enough to ensure a good fit for all uses. E.g., putting two quilts on an elastic system designed for the weight of one quilt might result in a less-than-optimal fit. If you're using a partial quilt and a full-length quilt, you'll probably have two suspension systems...so you'll pay a weight penalty, but it should work fine.

I'd put the partial-length on the bottom, and make sure it hangs loosely enough so it doesn't compress the full-length one. Otherwise, you'll probably have an air gap under your legs.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have and I do....here is my friend Timmy using two of mine together this Friday in -1º temps. JRB Hudson River (green) against the hammock, my DIY Frankenquilt 3/4 UQ outside. Jacket over footbox for gauranteed warm toes....not wearing it anyways.
    Shug

Timmy the Natural by Sean Shug Emery, on Flickr
    Last edited by Shug; 12-12-2011 at 16:18.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    At the 2011 MRHO I had:
    Me
    Small (the frame of my pack) CCF pad
    Hammock
    3/4 length quilt
    KAQ New river quilt
    Moly Mac 1X

So, yes you can do multiple UQs. Next time I'll put the KAQ on the OUTSIDE, in tests at home after the MRRHO I was much warmer. My theory (supported by my at home tests) is at MRHO I thought that I was not compressing the KAQ, but after getting a bit chilled from below I suspect that I WAS. Therefore, be very aware of compressing your quilts between each other.
    My at home tests were only done at around 20 with only about 30 MPH winds, so I didn't get to test under full winter conditions, but I did notice a difference even then.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelgrunt View Post
    Does anyone here use a similar setup?
    Jacks R Better pioneered nested UQs. It's a proven concept.

I have nested a HH SS with a KAQ; a KAQ with a 50*F UQ; a Baby Orca IX UQ inside down; and a Snugfit inside a PeaPod. TZ nested two Snugfits. It works well!

... diminishing returns beyond nesting one thing inside another.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I use 2 a 3 season inacubator and a DIY insultec quilt .
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

So many great responses- thanks all. I tried searching before I posted, but didn't find anything. I'll go back now and try the term "nesting" to see what else I can find.

I was thinking about using the full length closest to me, then the 3/4 on the outside to minimize the potential gap, but I see recommendations up there to try the other way. I see a need to experiment now, which just means more hang time(!).

Thanks all for confirming my theory.

P i x e l

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelgrunt View Post
    I was thinking about using the full length closest to me, then the 3/4 on the outside to minimize the potential gap, but I see recommendations up there to try the other way. I see a need to experiment now, which just means more hang time(!).
    Nope - I think you had it right. Full-length against the hammock, and partial UQ outside of that. IF you can do that without compressing the full-length.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have an Incubator that I bought last year and a Phoenix that I just got from the black friday sale. I plan on "nesting" them on a campout if Feb. Maybe sooner!!!
    Last edited by Roadrunnr72; 12-13-2011 at 19:10.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast