Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

Oh, and I had an idea for dessert. How about Bananas Flambe with Bacon? I'm not sure whether we should use cognac, rum, Bacardi 151 or Everclear in the recipe. Decisions, decisions.
    Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. my favorite for cooking.

especially "Bananas Flam-bow!"
    Last edited by KerMegan; 12-13-2011 at 12:50.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Has it occurred to you yet to check your GPS a couple of times whenever you get near that intersection?? ;-) Nice reports guys, thanks.
    A GPS is way down on my priority list of stuff to buy, but it sure would be handy when hiking at night in the Pine Barrens. The trail markings are less than spectacular, especially when the trail merges with a road for sections. The places where I kept getting lost were clearings where several roads merge together. When you enter the clearing, you might be heading north, but then the trail goes south (the direction you just came from) before turning north again. Sometimes the trail entrance and exit onto a road are on the same side of the road, which is counter-intuitive because you expect the trail to be on the other side of the road in the direction you are heading.

The other problem is that these are large clearings with trees far apart. At night, I've had to walk around the entire clearing because the trail exit point could be anywhere.

With a GPS, I'm not sure you would ever get to truly KNOW the land, the subtle changes in appearance between one place and the next (and trust me, the changes are very subtle in the Pine Barrens because it all looks alike). When you really know the land, it becomes a part of you.

With a GPS, you'll probably know the route really well, but you won't know the land. It's the same thing when you drive with a GPS. When I go to Boston, a city I've lived in and visited for twenty years, I laugh at what the GPS is telling me. The GPS can never navigate Boston as well as I can because I learned the city from experience.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    +1 to the Boston navigation by experience

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Silent Orpheus - I nominate you Director of Adult Beverages for the NJ Winter Hang. After hearing some of your encyclopedic knowledge, I think you're the man for the job!
    Glad you had a good time and look forward to meeting you next month.

Silent Orpheus- We are going to get along just fine at the hang. We are also masters of The Subtle Art of Beer and Whiskey Snobbery.
    Last edited by Iafte; 12-13-2011 at 14:31. Reason: Spelling
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    Glad you had a good time and look forward to meeting you next month.

Silent Orpheus- We are going to get anong just fine at the hang. We are also masters of The Subtle Art of Beer and Whiskey Snobbery.
    Hey, I'm in that club too. I brought a Belgian Framboise Lambic for dessert. Beats the heck out of s'mores!

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    +1 to the Boston navigation by experience
    ===> Hehehe...yep, we tell folks to shut the GPS off when they are in Boston! In the city, if you followed the directions, you would either crash, get mugged, or wind-up in Atlantic City! ROFL! Some places just don't map real well with a GPS - Boston is one of them!

Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    ===> Hehehe...yep, we tell folks to shut the GPS off when they are in Boston! In the city, if you followed the directions, you would either crash, get mugged, or wind-up in Atlantic City! ROFL! Some places just don't map real well with a GPS - Boston is one of them!

Sky
    It even became a joke for a webcomic at one point.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    A GPS is way down on my priority list of stuff to buy, but it sure would be handy when hiking at night in the Pine Barrens. The trail markings are less than spectacular, especially when the trail merges with a road for sections. The places where I kept getting lost were clearings where several roads merge together. When you enter the clearing, you might be heading north, but then the trail goes south (the direction you just came from) before turning north again. Sometimes the trail entrance and exit onto a road are on the same side of the road, which is counter-intuitive because you expect the trail to be on the other side of the road in the direction you are heading.

The other problem is that these are large clearings with trees far apart. At night, I've had to walk around the entire clearing because the trail exit point could be anywhere.

With a GPS, I'm not sure you would ever get to truly KNOW the land, the subtle changes in appearance between one place and the next (and trust me, the changes are very subtle in the Pine Barrens because it all looks alike). When you really know the land, it becomes a part of you.

With a GPS, you'll probably know the route really well, but you won't know the land. It's the same thing when you drive with a GPS. When I go to Boston, a city I've lived in and visited for twenty years, I laugh at what the GPS is telling me. The GPS can never navigate Boston as well as I can because I learned the city from experience.
    I used to canoe the Pine Barrens. It all looks like sand and pine trees. BTDT. I also lived with a GPS for years driving to customers. The one thing they are good for is the answer to your problem. Check it at the intersection, make you guess, check again in a couple of minutes. Saves a lot of walking. In the car they are good for the last mile unless you are using a navigation system than lets you lay out the route from experience.

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sorry I missed you guys, had a death in the family. I'd much rather have been out in the piney woods.

Silver Surfer, I'll get your permit fee for the NJ Winter Hang. Actually, Kayak Karl should cover us both. I got him a permit last time I went to Lower Forge (the actual Lower Forge) and he went MIA then too.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    Silent Orpheus- We are going to get along just fine at the hang. We are also masters of The Subtle Art of Beer and Whiskey Snobbery.
    If I'm able to make it I'll try to bring a keg from the brewery.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast