Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    well if you don't want the dirt approach then toss them in the washing machine - basically anything to get the surface roughed up a little

maybe use some 600-800 grit sand paper from Lowes? That's what I use to hone my axe back to a razors edge.. should scoar the webbing without really damaging it

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Seatbelt webbing

I made my own straps out of 2" seatbelt webbing and haven't had any problems. I agree with the extra wrap but it's only necessary on smaller diameter trees for me. I have a loop sewn on one end that I pass the free end through and that tightens down on the tree. If your webbing is a large loop that doesn't tighten on the tree I can't speak to that but it would make sense as to why it was slipping. I'm by no means an expert.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I rubbed one strap over a 2x4 on the deck railing as bigbamaguy suggested. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed from one end to the other, and on both sides of the strap. I then compared that strap to the other in original condition and I could not tell any difference in holding tight. Maybe, as Imoseley7 suggests, if the loops were smaller, they would hold tighter.... . Keep the ideas coming!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

well one off the wall idea is to lash the strap once after feeding it through the loop - that is to say feed the free end of the strap up under the part going around the tree holding onto a bit of the strap below then take the free end and feed it under the standing part that you are holding and pull tight

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    well one off the wall idea is to lash the strap once after feeding it through the loop - that is to say feed the free end of the strap up under the part going around the tree holding onto a bit of the strap below then take the free end and feed it under the standing part that you are holding and pull tight
    If you're describing what I'm picturing, I think it will be very difficult to untie.

I'm with the "smaller loop" group to give it a little more resistance against falling free. Put a rubber band, clothespin, paperclip. etc. around one loop to simulate having it stitched and see if it solves the problem.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If you're describing what I'm picturing, I think it will be very difficult to untie.

I'm with the "smaller loop" group to give it a little more resistance against falling free. Put a rubber band, clothespin, paperclip. etc. around one loop to simulate having it stitched and see if it solves the problem.
    No, G. What HOI is describing will pull right out. It's just a half hitch after you put the tag through the loop (I think! ) That's an excellent idea, Hog. That's what I'm going to try today.

Also, a rubber band on the loop is an excellent idea for simulating a smaller loop. But, also, that makes me think of fixing a rubber band around the loop fabric PERMANENTLY to create some friction on the loop. I just gotta figure out how to wind a loop around a loop. Maybe just some "scratchier" polypropylene line whipped around the loops...Yeah, that'll work, I think. Stay tuned! Thanks, brothers and sisters!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

While I have never had a problem with straps

slipping, I like the ideas of sanding, washing etc to roughen up the weave a bit. And Paul's admonition about dirt is correct - you don't want to weaken the webbing by infusing it with thousands of little sharp cutting surfaces!

If tree diameter and spacing permit, could you cinch the strap by feeding one end through the other loop? This would snug the system and possibly reduce the slipping.

Strategically placed squiggles of silicone caulk might increase the grip as well.

Jim

+1 on the no dirt due to possible cutting particles.

Please allow me to toss in a super-simplistic and totally reversible fix. I have wanted to add a little friction between my straps and trees when I used smooth metal or just very smooth trees to hang my hammock. Try a small strip of rubber grippy shelf liner under the strap. It can be moved to the place you feel is most strategic.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Also, a rubber band on the loop is an excellent idea for simulating a smaller loop. But, also, that makes me think of fixing a rubber band around the loop fabric PERMANENTLY to create some friction on the loop. I just gotta figure out how to wind a loop around a loop. Maybe just some "scratchier" polypropylene line whipped around the loops...Yeah, that'll work, I think. Stay tuned! Thanks, brothers and sisters!
    The whipping knot may be what you are looking for

Grizz demoed it in one of his videos for use with whoopie slings (it's the grey line in the above picture), but it sounds like you could just as easily use it for your purposes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast