Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies

Drinking from the firehose

Howdy.

I'm finding that the number of 'New Posts' each day has got so great that I can't keep up. Is there a way or a possibility that I can filter new posts to only those from forums that I select? Or put it another way, to ignore or hide new posts from forums that I don't want to follow? I've tried using the advanced search for this without success, so I think it would have to be new functionality.

Thanks....
    善行無轍迹
    The skilful traveller leaves no traces of his wheels or footsteps
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I know that you can hit "Mark All Forums Read" in the upper gray bar.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    you could just read the forums you are interested in. OTOH you can use an eyeball filter and just skip over messages in forums you are not interested in or familiar sounding message headers that you are not watching.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL & Sydney Arbor Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    I know that you can hit "Mark All Forums Read" in the upper gray bar.
    Sure can and I do one I've skimmed through the new posts. But AFAIK, I can either click 'New Posts' and get all the new posts from all the forums, or go to each forum that I like to follow one by one and read the new posts (bold subject) in each. What I'd like to do is set up a list of the forums I like to follow, and get all the new posts from those forums in one place. For example, I don't follow the For Sale or WTB forums, so I'd like to be able to exclude new posts from those from my new posts list.
    善行無轍迹
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    You could subscribe to the specific forums you want to see and then go to your "USER CP" which will list the latest entry for all forums and threads you are subscribed to.

You can subscribe to a thread or forum by opening it up and picking the option from either the "Thread Tools" or "Forum Tools" as appropriate.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    Thanks for the suggestion Alamosa, but not sure how this is much different from going through the forums one by one to see new posts? i was hoping for a list of all new posts from my selected forums in one list.

BTW, I also tried subscribing to the forum's RSS feed and doing the filtering in my RSS client, but apparently the RSS feed only includes the first post in each thread, or is there another RSS feed that includes all posts?
    善行無轍迹
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Sorry Marwood, guess I have been using Tapatalk too long. I just went back and checked the forum subscription and it does not work the way I thought it did.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    I looked into the options for the forums' external feeds on the vBulletin site to see if I could get where I want to be using my RSS client. I found that the feed that's exposed in the page header of the HammockForums site or each of the individual forums is set by default to only expose the first post of each thread. The feed takes the format: 'http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/external.php?type=RSS2' for all feeds, or for example 'http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=31' for the individual forum feeds.

Turns out if you add '&lastpost=1' to the end of the feed URL, this will return all the posts (see https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...?highlight=rss).

However, it also seems that the number of external records returned is set to the default of the last 15 records only. Any chance the 'Maximum External Records' option (https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...group_external) could be set to allow returning a higher number using '&count=x'?

Thanks.
    善行無轍迹
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
    Any chance the 'Maximum External Records' option (https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/...group_external) could be set to allow returning a higher number using '&count=x'?
    You asked the wrong question. Could be isn't the same as will it be.

Allowing larger external record requests can actually impact the performance of the forum, as the RSS feed could be polled recurrently and automatically and thus generate database load. We might be willing to raise it some, but almost certainly nowhere near as much as you'd request.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts