WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber 9oz
    Insulation
    Under/top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopee sling

Differantial cut on top quilt.

I'm laying out my new attempt on a top quilt. The inner shell is going to be 52 inches. If I have 2 1/2 inch baffels does that mean a 54 1/2 inches on the outer shell for a differantial cut, or do I need more on the outer shell?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    I'm laying out my new attempt on a top quilt. The inner shell is going to be 52 inches. If I have 2 1/2 inch baffels does that mean a 54 1/2 inches on the outer shell for a differantial cut, or do I need more on the outer shell?
    A differential cut on a top quilt isn't necessary. The quilt is on top of you and not compressing the insulation (except what you tuck under yourself). So how you choose to close in the outer baffles is arbitrary and totally up to you. Usually the baffles on a top quilt run side to side (across the short dimension of the quilt).

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Speer DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    What Brian said - no diff cut needed on a TQ, unless you're planning on using it as an UQ as well.
    - Norm

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Stir Fry-

Yes, that is the commonly held thinking IIRC. You would increase the top shell size by the same measurement as the baffle height.

Ryan

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Stir Fry-

Yes, that is the commonly held thinking IIRC. You would increase the top shell size by the same measurement as the baffle height.

Ryan
    +1 - what he said
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Did you end up using a differential cut for your top quilt? If so did you do it like you stated above? I'm waiting on materials to make my first quilt, I'm planning on using the same dimensions and design as your blue top quilt. If you were doing it again would you do anything different? Any tips to make it easier? I've been trying to find more info on the differential cut question. Seems like most say it doesn't matter with a tq, others say it does, and some say it only matters if the baffles are over 3". My guess is that it doesn't matter for my needs but my obsessive compulsive tendencies won't let me leave it at that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Diff Cut TQ

Katabatic gear makes some of the finest quilts available, (although I'd say that about EE too, I love Tim's quilts) and they use a diff. cut for their quilts. Worth checking out I suppose. Let us know what you chose to do and how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsdgrf View Post
    Katabatic gear makes some of the finest quilts available, (although I'd say that about EE too, I love Tim's quilts) and they use a diff. cut for their quilts. Worth checking out I suppose. Let us know what you chose to do and how it turns out.
    Those katabatic quilts are beautiful. Looking at them they seem to be puffier on the inside and tighter on the out, I would have thought they would have been the other way around due to the diff. cut.
    One thing I can't wrap my head around concerning diff cut top quilts is which sides should be longest. Is the top piece of fabric supposed to be wider or longer than the bottom, or both. It makes sense to me when applied to an underquilt with the baffles running perpendicular to the width you would make the exterior fabric wider so the quilt can wrap around your body without compressing, but with a topquilts baffles running parallel to the width that seems to change things. Any thoughts on this?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Diff cut tq

Thats a good question. I would imagine that a TQ would be both wider and longer. Thinking three dimensionally you would need the top fabric to account for the extra baffle height. So the height would would be accommodated with extra width and length. Length would be to cover the ends and maintain and differential cut with baffles being equal the whole way. Think table cloth on a rectangular table with fabric hanging off each edge evenly. That's the nice part about the Katabatic quilts is the complete baffle at the neck end that acts as a draft collar. It doesn't taper to an edge at the neck, but remains puffy and better seals around the collar.

• + New Posts