Which sewing machine for gear and clothing?

Hey guys.

I'm hoping to get some advice on a machine for my wife. We currently have a basic older machine that works ok. However as she is progressing in making things a newer model is needed. Some things I think she wants would be a zipper foot, button hole setting, serger foot, maybe double thread. I'm not positive what all those things do. She wants to make clothes, fleece, wool and so on for us and our kids. Also we'll use it for gear, if that matters.

Thanks for any advice.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The serger foot is the only problematic request there. A serger is another machine as far as I know. They make three thread and four thread sergers for home use. IMO the only one that makes sense to invest in is a four thread.

You might be able to find a zipper foot for the machine you have if you scout around. They are pretty common. Buttonholes can be done without additional equipment if you have a zig zag stitch. Pre-programmed button holes can be nice but you really don't gain much over doing them yourself. Any zig zag machine you would use for gear you can use for garments UNLESS you want to machine embroider puppies and flowers and dolphins and stuff on the garments.

If you want to get a new(er) machine then look for a high quality machine. That makes more difference in terms of clothing than it does in terms of gear for your self. People tend to be more picky about clothes they wear than gear they use. Check out my guidelines post in my sig. Others have found it helpful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    brother xl-2600i its a well rounded machine. Best $90 i ever spent.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    Hey guys.

I'm hoping to get some advice on a machine for my wife. We currently have a basic older machine that works ok. However as she is progressing in making things a newer model is needed. Some things I think she wants would be a zipper foot, button hole setting, serger foot, maybe double thread. I'm not positive what all those things do. She wants to make clothes, fleece, wool and so on for us and our kids. Also we'll use it for gear, if that matters.

Thanks for any advice.
    Wherever you are in Pennsylvania, there must be fabric stores and people who sew. Your wife can find these people and get advice. The fabric stores may have knowledgeable staff, or not, but she can at least ask them. She can also ask the local people who are in sewing clubs and the like. A couple of weeks of asking questions and getting to know people will pay off quite well, I think.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are any where close to Lewisburg I can give a shout out to the mechanic I use. I like the guy and I know he has some used stuff.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts