Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Kettle Moraine North or South - WI

Hey HF,
    I need some help with trip planning. I'm planning a trip for 4 people in mid-October, most likely to WI. Right now I'm considering either taking them to Kettle Moraine North or South. I've hiked most of KM North and have seen 4 of the 5 shelters, but I've never been to KM South. I'm just looking for feedback on which people prefer, and why they prefer one over the other.

The groups abilities differ greatly. We have 4 adults (including myself) and one 7 year old. Some of the group wants to stick around 3 miles per day, and another person wants 7-10. I figured with the numerous trailheads and our group having two cars, we could provide a trip that suited everyone. Right now I'm thinking it will be a 2 day 1 night trip, but there maybe two fo us making it a 3 day, 2 night.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    mambajamba
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    adjustable strap
    have fun on your outing, I spent most of my time there on horseback, so don't have any helpful feedback. It is a fun place to go and should provide what you need.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I've been told on here that the the north is more suited to hangers.. calling the park i found out thaT you need to reserve the shelters each night of the stay..I dont know why that bothers me but it does...i guess because that limits and restricts me on a hike??? i am looking forward to a trip report though and great to see another member from nw indiana!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've done the shelter game at KM North before. It's not too bad, but they have an odd rule that the same person cannot reserve the same shelter OR the next shelter on two consecutive nights. For example, I cannot reserve #3 tonight and #2 or #4 tomorrow; I have to reserve number(s) 1, 5, or 6. It's not a huge deal if you are in a group, because just put the shelter in another persons name, but it's still annoying.

Unfortunately, if you want to hike the Ice Age Trail you are stuck with shelters or formal campgrounds through the southern part. From the IATA ~ "There are no primitive camping areas on the Ice Age Trail south of Langlade County."

• + New Posts