DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dbjerknes View Post
    Nice work on getting up in the tree. Is that a safety harness you made around your midsection?
    I've tried hanging higher in trees as well, but I'm always a little freaked out that my hammock will fall.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't treetop hammock without a climbing spec safety harness. I am trying my hardest to find a friend to bivy up in the canopy with me; so if you live in the area I will show you the ropes (ha, litterally). Seriously man, it takes one branch to snap and send you to your death and it is totally not worth it. I mathematically measured the probability of falling 15 feet vs getting eaten alive by racoons and decided that it was much safer to risk falling 15 feet but I would never sleep higher than that without my harness and climbing ropes. Visit a tree climbing forum or check out the link I added to my original post if you want more information on sleeping at height.

The white paracord in the middle of the hammock has nothing to do with safety. I use closed cell foam pads (because I'm too poor to afford an underquilt) for insulation and I used that string to compress the pad into a clamshell shape around my body so that it wouldn't shift when I moved around at night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    By no means was I ever 15 feet in the air, just higher than a typical hang. Each time I would just bring it down to a normal level. Nice set up you have there.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I find it hilarious that you are brave enough to hang that high in a tree when you hammock but you get freaked out in the woods at night. Haha
    We will for sure hit the trail some day. I think that's so cool that you are getting out there and trying something new. Great job!

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Lycan? What's a lycan? Isn't that the spongy fungusy stuff that grows on the trees or on the ground?

Looks fun! I'm more afraid of falling than any raccoons getting me.

HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Years ago I had the idea of climbing trees for recreation but never pursued the idea. I find hanging hammocks high in trees interesting. If I were younger I would give it a try.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Watch out, those Lycans can climb trees.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dbjerknes View Post
    By no means was I ever 15 feet in the air, just higher than a typical hang. Each time I would just bring it down to a normal level. Nice set up you have there.
    Thanks man. I was quite impressed with the warmth level considering I didn't use a wind barrier. I had 1 fullsize mat and an extra half mat under my torso as well as my puffy jacket over my torso. My legs were cold all night, I had to rub them together like firesticks on multiple occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I find it hilarious that you are brave enough to hang that high in a tree when you hammock but you get freaked out in the woods at night. Haha
    We will for sure hit the trail some day. I think that's so cool that you are getting out there and trying something new. Great job!

Fronkey
    Honestly, I think I am terrified of everything (including wild animals AND heights). I enjoy the rush I receive when I face my fears. By simply going on solo backpacking trips I am facing my fear of wild animals and by treetop hammocking I am facing my fear of heights. Either way I end up being scared just one I have more control over. Haha, but ya, thanks man. We will indeed meet someday.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    I've been a member of Hammock Forums for a month so far and honestly I thought I saw everything. Something tells me this won't be the last time I see something way out of the box in here. Very cool way to hang. My buddy the tree trimmer would get a kick out of this...

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I hate that bears can climb trees!!!!

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very cool! I'm so afraid of heights, I'd rather fend off wolves, grizzlies, racoons, and all their other pals, than get more than about 3 feet off the ground. I worked in construction for a while and was on rooftops about 40 feet off the ground. The pucker factor was so bad, years later now and I still don't poop right. I'll take my chances with the werewolves. That forrest looks like it's full of em!
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12