Quote Originally Posted by dbjerknes View Post
Nice work on getting up in the tree. Is that a safety harness you made around your midsection?
I've tried hanging higher in trees as well, but I'm always a little freaked out that my hammock will fall.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't treetop hammock without a climbing spec safety harness. I am trying my hardest to find a friend to bivy up in the canopy with me; so if you live in the area I will show you the ropes (ha, litterally). Seriously man, it takes one branch to snap and send you to your death and it is totally not worth it. I mathematically measured the probability of falling 15 feet vs getting eaten alive by racoons and decided that it was much safer to risk falling 15 feet but I would never sleep higher than that without my harness and climbing ropes. Visit a tree climbing forum or check out the link I added to my original post if you want more information on sleeping at height.

The white paracord in the middle of the hammock has nothing to do with safety. I use closed cell foam pads (because I'm too poor to afford an underquilt) for insulation and I used that string to compress the pad into a clamshell shape around my body so that it wouldn't shift when I moved around at night.