WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Differential cut UQ's take int account that the fabric against the hammock should be shorter than the lower fabric on the UQ, as the fabric wraps around the bottom of the hammock.

Differentially cut is more efficient, as you're not compressing the down, as the outer shell isn't pulled tight....

For example: against the hammock, the baffles might be spaced 5" apart, where the outer edge might be spaced 5.25"...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I used this chart as a rule of thumb:
    http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php

Consider the loft on the chart as baffle height instead of just loft, as the loft will vary depending on cut and fill. That, and the baffles will be the minimum loft on your quilt so go with those as the minimum. These values pretty much match what the cottage guys are putting out as well. See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&hl=en#gid=0 for comparison.

Differential cut simply means the outer cover is cut longer and wider than the inner to prevent compression of the down. You increase the baffle spacing on the outer to account for the increased width of the fabric.

Also see http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...d.php?p=553311 which has the UQ calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0
    It's a great place to start figuring baffle heights, differential and required fill.

HTH
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok. I guess I didn't really think about a differential cut just because all the plans and threads that I've been looking at, the shell and outer layer are the same cut. I'll have to look at those links, cause my iPad is not working with google docs. I appreciate the help everyone! This TQ and UQ will be epic!
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Images
    That Thru-hiker chart seems to agree with JRB quilt ratings. The MW3 has 2" baffles and 3" loft and is rated 15-20. The MW4 has 1 more inch of baffles and loft, and this buys you another 15F of warmth, for a 0- +5 rating.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well I'm glad everyone is feeding me the same story. I start really judging my work when one says one thing and another person says something else right after I get it off the sewing machine.
    Corey Miller

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Compression of down? Nah!!

With all respect, the differential cut reduces weight by having the chambers more optimally shaped for volume relative to baffle and inside fabric required to do it. Obviously, folds and pleats on the inner surface don't contribute anything but weight.

But, down compression? Nope. If down compression were an issue, you could just put less down in the chambers. And there is much belief that while loft is a main contributor to insulation, so is the down, and not just to stop convection.

Differential cut because it looks cool and undoubtedly optimizes. Just how great the value of the insulative optimization is would require testing. Weight and fabric savings should be straightforward to calculate.

Hammock
    HammockBliss Triple
    Suspension
    Single Line
    Another thing to throw in the mix. Is that the combination of top & bottom insulation will have a huge impact on the overall performance. All sleeping bags are rated for a "set" temp, but only when used with an equally rated pad/UQ. That -40 bag does almost nothing for you when your back is exposed to the cold. I've taken a 0 degree bag to almost -30, but frozen my tail off in the same bag in the 30/40s because of this. (note to self: blue foam pads don't pop)
    Perhaps in the mad scramble for sexy light weightness I and everyone else has forgotten the most important function of gear – not that it must weight nothing, look good and be cheap, but that it must keep you alive and increases your survivability.
    -Andy Kirkpatrick

Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    I used this chart as a rule of thumb:
    http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php

Consider the loft on the chart as baffle height instead of just loft, as the loft will vary depending on cut and fill. That, and the baffles will be the minimum loft on your quilt so go with those as the minimum. These values pretty much match what the cottage guys are putting out as well. See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&hl=en#gid=0 for comparison.

Differential cut simply means the outer cover is cut longer and wider than the inner to prevent compression of the down. You increase the baffle spacing on the outer to account for the increased width of the fabric.

Also see http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...d.php?p=553311 which has the UQ calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0
    It's a great place to start figuring baffle heights, differential and required fill.

HTH
    thanks for all the awesome links!! Do you use the same Differential cut thought process for constructing a TQ? or does that only apply to UQ's?
    Corey Miller

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HamptonHanger View Post
    thanks for all the awesome links!! Do you use the same Differential cut thought process for constructing a TQ? or does that only apply to UQ's?
    I think this depends on the shape of the item in its intended use. A mummy sleeping bag is pretty much round or oval in use. It is obvious that the outside has to be larger than the inside, or the down gets compressed. An UQ for most hammocks will be definitely curved when in use. Also the tension applied to the upper fabric should not be applied to the under side fabric.

For a TQ, it is not so important. The TQ is curved around the person somewhat, but not too much. The TQ is probably not pulled or stretched in use, so neither surface is tensioned.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12