Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Loft to Temperature ratio?

Hello fellows,

It has come to my attention that the majority of the DIYers here have different levels of loft in relation to temperature and where they are located, but is there a general rule of thumb for loft in relation to how cold you want it down to? Just curious cause I'm contemplating multiple things for my first DIY under quilt.

1. Karo Step pattern or Normal baffle pattern
    2. Down and fill power
    3. How big am I making this thing (I'm 6'2")

I'm overall trying to get this down to 0 degrees and the consensus is anywhere from 3 to 3.5" of loft.

I figure I would let this one fly considering it's getting colder outside. (at least in VA anyway!)
    Last edited by Living the Highlife; 12-16-2011 at 14:31.
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    topquilt or underquilt?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    don't go by loft ... loft is just a byproduct of down and design IE baffle height plays a part but loft can be deceiving .. lets say you have 1.5" baffles and pack the quilt full of down and end up with 3" of loft... when you hang it and put your weight on it... your still only have 1.5" baffles under you so with your weight your not going to have all that loft ... to get a better idea hang an UQ on your hammock get in and measure the loft... take it off and measure in the same spot most times you have less with body weight on it just something i found out over time ...
    what you want is Baffle height
    from what i use and pretty much what most use is
    2"-3"= 3 Season
    3"-or bigger= winter
    with 3.5" baffles and a Differ. cut you should get at least 4" of loft if you use the right amount of Down LxWxH/Fill power
    Baffles are key JMHO
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiKnight View Post
    topquilt or underquilt?
    It's an underquilt.

@ OP:

Can't help you with the baffles/down FP and such. I've not been researching those as much as synthetics.

However, to determine the length/width of your quilt, are you shooting for a full-length, a 2/3, or a 3/4 quilt?

The general consensus seems to be that 2/3 and 3/4 quilts are easier to build, since the shifting of down in the longitudinal axis can be more or less ignored. A full-length has a much sharper angle to it because of the way you lie in the hammock, and therefore requires a more complicated design. I suppose this helps answer whether you want to do a Karo step or a normal longitudinal baffle system, now that I think about it...

In addition, many folks here are ultralight backpackers that have ultralight backpacks which use a cut-down sleeping pad as their "virtual frame". Since those folks are already carrying the extra weight of the pad anyway, it makes sense for them to save weight and bulk on the quilt by going 2/3 or 3/4 and using the pad for their feet.

Hope some of my random rambling here helps...

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah good point ... depending on what you do more of Hiking,car camping will play a part... if your more of a backpacker and don't want to break the bank go with a 2/3 3/4 length ... full if your a car camper but a Full length will cost more to build...

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, to further my help, I'm talking about both TQ and UQ. I will be making them as my winter or four season pair. my plan is to do a Karo step TQ and a 3/4 or Full UQ (I havent decided yet) with traditional baffles for the underquilt, so I dont get too much shift in the down on the UQ. I see what you mean G.L.P. regarding the loft, what I will most likely do is a 3" to 3.25" baffle and overstuff by 15-20%. I should see some results with that.
    Corey Miller

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    An under quilt that uses 900 fill power, is deferentially cut, and has properly sewn baffles to allow a 20 inch loft ability and with 25 inch draft tubes... will allow you to sleep on a cloud, and inevitably will get you waaaay down there in temperatures, along with being the envy of everyone else around you. Just saying I hope I've been helpful

P.S. Don't forget your triangle thingies, and I'm here if you ever need me to give that UQ a test and proper review.
    Last edited by DivaB; 12-16-2011 at 16:47. Reason: Sorry, I didn't realize how new you are here. Pretty much ignore most of my posts, I don't want to confuse you.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by HamptonHanger View Post
    Well, to further my help, I'm talking about both TQ and UQ. I will be making them as my winter or four season pair. my plan is to do a Karo step TQ and a 3/4 or Full UQ (I havent decided yet) with traditional baffles for the underquilt, so I dont get too much shift in the down on the UQ. I see what you mean G.L.P. regarding the loft, what I will most likely do is a 3" to 3.25" baffle and overstuff by 15-20%. I should see some results with that.
    you should be ok ... but maybe bump it up to 3.5" baffles for some head room
    your TQ you don't need a Differ. cut for... but your UQ you do
    i like to add a 1/2" to each chamber size...(top shell)

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    It is definitely going to vary by person, but I go with a somewhat generic 20-25*F per inch of loft starting with 70*F. This is of course uncompressed loft.

So 1" gets to about 45*F, 2" down to about 20-25*F, 3" down to about 0*F, 4" down to about -15 or -10*F.

Vary ballpark and I tend to be a very warm sleeper so YMMV for sure. Also the amount of clothing, hat, etc. will make a huge difference.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    you should be ok ... but maybe bump it up to 3.5" baffles for some head room
    your TQ you don't need a Differ. cut for... but your UQ you do
    i like to add a 1/2" to each chamber size...(top shell)
    I'm not sure what you mean by differentially cut?
    Corey Miller

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast