Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling

Old Rag Mtn + stock JRB UQ suspension = too tight?

I just got my ORM from the recent sale, and I am super impressed with the quality and features. This will be a great topquilt!

My question concerns when it is used as an UQ. I got my BMBH set up and attached the ORM with the JRB suspension per the instructions. I got in, and it was very warm and comfy. I had my wife get in there so I could feel whether loft was being maintained throughout. I seemed to have an average of 2 - 2.5" of loft along the length, but around the butt-area it was compressed to an inch or so. My wife weighs a buck fifteen, so I'm sure I was compressing it even more. I know it will be slightly compressed due to the non-differential design, but the compression around the butt seemed to be from body weight and the tight suspension.

So, I'm wondering if there are any tricks out there to have the quilt be not so tight against the hammock. Of course we want it close, but I think I would suffer from cbs if I spent the night in this setup because the loft was so compressed. Does the suspension loosen up a little bit over time? Are there different ways to set up the suspension? Any tips or ideas are welcome!

Images
    Sent you a PM.
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Images
    If you are attaching to the BMBH exactly per JRB directions, the suspension will really have no effect. At least it does not seem to on mine.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00651...eb%20Small.JPG

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00654...all_small1.JPG

The suspension does not even attach to the quilt, but to the hammock. So on mine, tightening or loosening the suspension will have little- if any - effect on the quilts tightness.

Still, however you are attaching, with only 1" loft at the butt, it seems you need to loosen that up some. I would add and extension to the suspension, and fiddle with it so that it barely touches your back or butt.

Another thing you might check is: some times down shifts. You may need to shift the down around and make sure there is plenty of down under the butt before you get in.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-17-2011 at 13:20.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you are attaching to the BMBH exactly per JRB directions, the suspension will reallyhave noo effect. At least it does not seem to on mine.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00651...eb%20Small.JPG

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00654...all_small1.JPG

The suspension does not even attach to the quilt, but to the hammock. So on mine, tightening or loosening the suspension will have little- if any - effect on the quilts tightness.

Still, however you are attaching, with only 1" loft at the butt, it seems you need to loosen that up some. I would add and extension to the suspension, and fiddle with it so that it barely touches your back or butt.

Another thing you might check is: some times down shifts. You may need to shift the down around and make sure there is plenty of down under the butt before you get in.
    Yep, I attached it exactly as JRB says to. I have a few things that I suspect might have affected it: tightening up the end cords too much, and the BMBH overall was on the tight side. I'll try to get it set up again tomorrow to give it another run. Thanks for the input! I'll be using this quilt mostly on top, but it would be nice to get it dialed in for UQ usage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    Yep, I attached it exactly as JRB says to. I have a few things that I suspect might have affected it: tightening up the end cords too much, and the BMBH overall was on the tight side. I'll try to get it set up again tomorrow to give it another run. Thanks for the input! I'll be using this quilt mostly on top, but it would be nice to get it dialed in for UQ usage.
    Well, yours might be dif than mine, but it is not going to make any dif on mine to tighten or loosen the JRB suspension when attaching the JRB MW UQ per JRB directions. That is, with the hammock loops through the UQ loops, and then the suspension elastic biners clipped to the hammock loops, but NOT the quilt. IOW, the UQ simply hangs down from the hammock loops. And those(hammock loops) really don't move much whether I find a way to loosen or tighten the suspension. The tension of the UQ is determined by the fixed position of the hammock loops from which the quilt is hanging.

I always am very snug against the quilt bottom. Always the same amount of tension. I think it would be almost identical if I got rid of the JRB suspension and just used the biners to clip the UQ loops to the UQ loops. It would amount to just about the same adjustment and be pretty close.

But this is with a differential cut UQ. As long as it is not tight enough to tear something, all is fine and loft is changed very little if at all. But this might be too snug with a non-dif cut Old Rag Mtn. Sounds like it is if you only have 1" of loft. So I would attach the head end as normal. But I would rig some kind of extension cord ( if needed ) for the foot end elastic suspension and maybe bypass the foot end hammock loops and just attach suspension directly to the UQ. Or maybe run the suspension through the hammock loops and then attach to the quilt loops. Making sure there is still some stretch available in the elastic suspension. Then I'd try loosening things up just a little at a time until I could maintain more of the loft.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-17-2011 at 13:45.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Haven't had an issue

I haven't had an issue, but I am a warm sleeper, so might not have noticed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Just an update to this old thread - I've found that my non-differential quilts (both my ORM and HR) have much more loft if I bypass the 4 corner rings and hang the quilt with the JRB suspension attached only to the top rings (of my UL BMBH). The quilts seem to snug up to my body just fine without compressing the loft too much. I haven't tried this in cold weather, however, so there could be some problems with the shock cord stretching more and causing the quilt to not be snug against the body. I'll have to try it out when fall/winter comes.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

• + New Posts