Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Follow up

4. The attachment point at the bottom of the standard stake would have seemed to work except for the tendancy of it to pull the stake directly up if the line does not cut completely through the ground. If it doesn't work in my situation, I can't see it helping anyone in any firmer ground. In the desert or snow, sure, but in firm ground not so much.
    UNLESS, (and I am kicking myself for not trying this) have someone stand on the stake while the line is pulled all the way to the bottom and cuts completely through the ground. Still seem far fetched for most of you, but in the soft ground it may work.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    The problem with the plastic and even aluminum anchors mentioned is the amount of force that is going to be applied to them. Based on a 30* angle from hammock to stand and then a 45* angle from stand to anchor, using 2 anchors, you will be applying a force equal to your weight to each anchor (2/3 of your weight if using three anchors).

Both the plastic stake and snow anchors are intended for holding a tent down, possibly a tarp, but I don't think they will stand up to the pressure of a hammock. IMO.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I love the way you are testing the sets.

I don't know if you saw my thread/video about my portable hammock stand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDzcV...1&feature=plcp

What I have been using with it is "The Claw" http://www.christmaslightshow.com/Th...g-Systems.html

What I found interesting with this system is how well it held with what seemed like very little stress on each individual stake. We have communicated about my old attempts to make a ground anchor that I sort of got side tracked on. Anyhow, what I decided I would do when I picked that football back up was try to come up with a lightweight version of The Claw. It wouldn't necessarily have to fold up or be limited to three stakes. What I figured would be easier would be some sort of X pattern which could fit together in the field similar to an Etowah Outfitter Etowah II stove pot suppoty http://www.etowahoutfittersultraligh...holstoves.html

It looks like to me the "magic" behind the claw is the fact the stakes are all at an angle towards the center of the contraption. If one could make ultralight version out of crossed PVS pipes with slant holes drilled in for the stakes to be fit through it could solve the issue of single stakes needing to contain all the force themselves. Imagine Alamosa's Stake boom http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...pictureid=9146 bot with two stakes per pipe and two pipes crossed in the center working together.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Now we are getting somewhere

Alamosa,
    My planned rig would have 3 anchors on each end. So that was already in the cards.
    But I had not done a FBD for the hammock setup just yet to determine the loads required at each line. (That was on my short to-do list)
    So based on your math, an anchor needs to hold between 1 and 2/3 bodyweight. That seems high considering the downward vector would be applied to the top of the support pole, but lets go with it for the time being.
    Maybe a 30 percent increase for getting in and out of the hammock? so 1 to 1 1/3 total weight.
    That gives me a target to head towards.
    Good place to start, Thanks

The claw redux

SGT Rock,
    If you take a look at the stick figure setup that I posted in my gallery, you will see a similar strategy to the claw in my rig.
    The goal was to use the downward force applied to the support pole by my bodyweight to increase the holding of the stake at the bottom of the pole. This stake would take most of the load and would contribute to the "claw like" setup for other lines.
    Its a theory at the moment though.

Anyone else tried this type of setup?

I like your idea of using multiple stake booms in a crossing pattern! If I need even more holding strength I will move to that. And it now goes on my testing list! Lets see how well it works in my sand bed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I can't find your gallery, it doesn't show up in your profile.
    NO SNIVELING!

Portable stand

SGT Rock,
    I somehow missed your youtube vid in my search. Thank you for pointing it out. I have some car camping events that this will work perfectly for. I will likely steal your dimensions and parts list and work out my anchors to go with it. Great vid.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    No problem. If you stay on track with that research let me know. I still think that someday someone will come up with a support and anchor system that is light enough to pack and use when you only have one support point. I picture PCT hikers wanting something like that.
    NO SNIVELING!

my album

Not sure why my album is not visable.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Me either. I tried searching for your user name in the Gallery and it didn't return any results either.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast