Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Sounds interesting, time(work) and weather permitting. Anybody interested in going from around the Pgh area that might like a ride up chime in. Have a Chevy 4 door pickup with 4WD. Could possibly take off Friday.

Hammock
    E.N. dbl, Exped Scout, G.T. pro
    Tarp
    H.H Hexfly,
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie pie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    Sounds interesting, time(work) and weather permitting. Anybody interested in going from around the Pgh area that might like a ride up chime in. Have a Chevy 4 door pickup with 4WD. Could possibly take off Friday.
    Good to hear it Newzy! Done be afraid to recruit some new members, it doesn't have to be Hammock only! (they will probably want a hammock afterward anyway!).
    "They sell canned water ...they call it Coors."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Ditto what Myteathor said not hammock only. I have a few ground dwellers coming

Hammock
    Tarp
    H.H Hexfly,
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie pie
    Images
    me and Tammy went up to the Minister Creek trail and went into the woods for a bit, even with the warm temps, the snow was still in the woods, about 2 inches though, not enough to drag out a deer with let alone a pulk sled . Of course there is still lots of time left but this looks like a warm winter this year. trails were icy and muddy depending on how much Sun was coming through.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well there predicting February is to be a heavy snowfall month . Just not wanting a blizzard to stop travel. Be happy with around 8" or so . Cross are fingers for now.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    Cripes at this point I'd settle for just getting the ground frozen, much less getting any good travelin' snow. I was out in the woods today and it's so muddy it's like wading through knee deep chocolate pudding.

I wasn't sure I'd have my gear together, so I didn't want to commit, but I think as long as lows stay above about 18F, I should be properly equipped to attend. I tested my setup to right about 18F a few days ago and thought I was pretty close to the low end, but was comfortable enough.

I read through the thread but didn't see it mentioned anywhere (probably just missed it). What's the expected mileage on the hike?

Hope to see you guys out there!
    Last edited by Frost; 01-10-2012 at 10:07.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    Tarp
    H.H Hexfly,
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie pie
    Images
    Cool! maybe you can bring some friends! Iam not trying to jump the gun, but lake effect snow coming friday, ( just in time for me to drive into the heart of it in Erie PA! I havent minded the warm weather up until now though, got a bunch of jobs done around the home that usually last until May when the snow melts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Cripes at this point I'd settle for just getting the ground frozen, much less getting any good travelin' snow. I was out in the woods today and it's so muddy it's like wading through knee deep chocolate pudding.

I wasn't sure I'd have my gear together, so I didn't want to commit, but I think as long as lows stay above about 18F, I should be properly equipped to attend. I tested my setup to right about 18F a few days ago and thought I was pretty close to the low end, but was comfortable enough.

I read through the thread but didn't see it mentioned anywhere (probably just missed it). What's the expected mileage on the hike?

Hope to see you guys out there!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    Meteorology is a bit of a hobby of mine, and I've been watching the long range models just to see how accurate they are, as it tends to go in cycles between 'sorta accurate' and 'wtf?'

So far the last month, they've been doing pretty darn well. I can't see all the way out to the hang, in fact I can only see to about the 1st, but the pattern that is setting up is an interesting one, and it's good news and bad news.

The bad news is, this pattern is something like an inverted Omega Block. In summer, and Omega Block is a big high stuck over the upper plains, with lows boxing it in over the Pacific NW and the Great Lakes. That means cool weather around us, and hot dry weather out west. Well, last two weeks of January look to have one, standing on it's head. It will be a big canadian low, stuck over the upper plains, with high pressure over the Great Lakes and Pac NW boxing it in. That is going to keep temps above freezing most days, and a few days the temps could even break 55F. So the good news is, you might not need to carry a lot of gear! Which is a good thing, because the bad news is, any snow we get is apt to be just like the last few rounds. Bitter cold, high winds, tons of lake effect, melting almost immediately and going back to rain. Might make pulling a sled tough.

Again, these models are only good for forecasting *trends* not specifics this far out, and they aren't all that accurate, but it's something to keep in mind as you start planning. Maybe come up with two load outs, one for rain, one for snow.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well we are heading that way in about 5 minutes, supposed to be a foot of snow there now , then rain come monday highs in the 40 ° this trip is to find a reliable water source just in case you observations are right . May just boil water than melt snow to save fuel either way, But still a plus. supposed to be high in teens today and single digits tonight. Well report to follow

Hammock
    Tarp
    H.H Hexfly,
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie pie
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast