Thread: Crazy Idea???

Cool. Thanks for the input Sarg.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    If I am picturing your description correctly, I believe someone has done a similar type end whip to achieve it. I'm not sure where the one I am thinking of is, s hopefully someone will be able to point us in the right direction. It is similar to the W whipping shown here - http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html

In the one that I am remembering, one half of the width was done with several small folds (like the W whip) and then the other half was done in one large fold creating a large pocket for a flat lay.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

I took a quick look at the link you have above. I think there is one essential difference to the one I am envisioning. What I am picturing would have two sections of fabric whipped at each end of the hammock for a total of four whips. The primary whip on each end has the suspension line going to the tree and the smaller - secondary whip has a line going to the primary whip with a section of fabric in between the two that is just flat and not incorporated into any whip at all.

I have got to try this... Is it only Monday?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I did find the thread I was thinking of which may give you more ideas - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1846
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Alamosa,
    Thanks for the thread. Spot on to my line of thinking with the exception of his making the secondary gather up the length of the hammock. Seemingly ingenious excepting for his numerous reported failures. (Darn physics!)

Thanks for the reference and cu-dos on remembering a thread from 2007.

Rapt's whipping technique seems like it accomplished what I am trying to from the few reports in the thread of others who have tried it. Any other whipping techniques out there of significant popularity for the ability to achieve a flat, non shoulder squeezing experience that you might be able to point me to?

If Rapt is out there, can you give me any ideas on the types of failures you experienced in the thread Alamosa posted above?

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    I had about the same idea that you had StringHimUp. I was thinking that you could suspend the unwhipped corners from the ridgeline though. I made a small 1:10 scale model and a scale diagram of my model a few days ago so I'll dig that up and post some photos here.
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

Chrisman2013, that would be great.

I was playing around with some small scale last night, but the problem with small scale is you can't lay in it...

I am moving toward the conclusion that a parallelogram shape is the way to start out as opposed to a rectangle. The HH is a rectangle and the widest point is in the middle of the length of the hammock when it is hung. That is the place that the least amount of room is needed.

I have some ideas on different whipping techniques using a channel at the end of the parallelogram. Whip the entire end, whip part then leave part flat, then whip the last part...

Will be looking for fabric tonight at Wally World and Joanne's. Hope to have something of substance to report no later than end of weekend.

Mark (StringHimUp)

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR

Here are two pictures of my scale model. They are kinda blurry but they were the best I could do. In the second picture I have a pair of needle nose pliers simulating a person. The scale size of the pliers would a large, 6'0" person. As in like a 6'0" 300 pound person. and they fit fine. The scale dimensions of the nylon used however is a trim 100" by 50". I'll post a diagram later to clarify things more. I'll be on the lookout for fabric to make a full size model out of as well.

Chrisman I sooooo like the looks of that. My son mentioned to me last night the idea of supporting the corners to the ridgeline like you did, but I was very concerned about the effect on the ridgeline.

Clearly the scale calcs you are doing are well thought out, I just wonder if the proportion of the string you are using will be true to the full scale model or if there will be sag or if it will break under stress. What are you thinking of using for the suspension/ridgeline? Amsteele? If so, then 7/64 or 1/8?

Really like the design. It looks like it will accomplish what I want in terms of laying flat and if the tie off to the ridgeline will work then what an elegantly simple solution.

Plus it will have the added benefit of my teenage son telling me, "I told you so..." and who wouldn't want to hear that again.
    Last edited by StringHimUp; 12-20-2011 at 17:05.

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    My plan was to use dynaglide whoopies for the suspension and the ridgeline since it is lighter. Amsteel would work fine for this too, however I'm a lightweight at 150 pounds and don't need the extra strength. I was also going to also use dynaglide to suspend the corners from the ridgeline although I think that you could also use Zing-It for this purpose. From my scale tests, it appears that most of the weight is bore by the fabric and the lines tied to the ridgeline are more just to keep the corners from flopping.
    Plus it will have the added benefit of my teenage son telling me, "I told you so..." and who wouldn't want to hear that again.
    As a teenage son I know that you can never say that too much.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast