Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crazy Idea???

Chrisman

Great thoughts and observations. And as a former teenage son myself... I know.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree! I look forward to seeing the prototype!

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR

I scanned the diagram I used to make my prototype. The measurements are for the full size version I am planning to build. On the upper-left-hand and lower-right-hand corners the red dotted line indicates where you fold the fabric. The fold is then sewn along the solid red line to make the headbox and footbox. The black dotted line is where the ridgeline would run. For my dimensions you would want to use an ~90" ridgeline to achieve ~80% sag. Sorry the color isn't better, the scanner didn't pick it up well.
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

Chrisman
    Thanks for posting your drawing.

I have been playing around with a scaled model myself and have been examining your design. I am concerned that your scale model might not account for the gathering and whipping of the fabric in scale. The model looks like you are attaching the suspension to a very small amount of fabric. Won't this place too much stress on a small amount of relatively weak fabric?

Being a noob, I am still trying to figure out the basic principles. I am thinking the reason everyone gathers and whips the fabric is for strength to support the weight in the hammock that is transferred to the suspension. In that way the gathered fabric acts like the small strings that make up a rope. In combination the strings are strong, but individually they lack the strength to hold sufficient weight.

My concern with my original beginnings of the concept included that the fabric would fail since only a portion would be whipped and therefore the support would be deminished.

Hammock
    DIY Ghost Hammock
    Tarp
    Sil Asym Diamond
    Insulation
    MH Phantom 32
    Suspension
    DIY Dynaglide UCR
    I've been somewhat concerned about the same thing myself. However, I can't think of any way to test this in small scale. I think the only way to test this would to create a full-size model and see how it holds up. From the way that I see it, Knotty's method of whipping his Gathered End Hammocks would be the strongest way to whip the ends. Hopefully after Christmas I will be able to get some fabric to test the design in full-scale. I was thinking that I could use a shower curtain or something of the sort to test it, however, I don't think that would give use a good answer on whether the whipping would hold or not.
    I am thinking the reason everyone gathers and whips the fabric is for strength to support the weight in the hammock that is transferred to the suspension. In that way the gathered fabric acts like the small strings that make up a rope. In combination the strings are strong, but individually they lack the strength to hold sufficient weight.
    I'm sure that this is part of the reason that people whip their hammocks though some hammocks like Crazy Creeks and Expeds use a channel style suspension instead of whipping. I'm not sure if the channel would achieve the increased strength so that may not be the only reason for whipping. I am also lead to believe that the whipping also provides you with a location to attach you suspension without any slipping of the lines. I'm in no way an extremely experienced DIY hammock designer or anything so I may be wrong though.
    Last edited by Chrisman2013; 12-22-2011 at 11:06.
    In the words of the Great Mackey, "Never lose your elevation!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123