eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno profly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Zunderquilt
    Suspension
    TreetoTree System

#OccupyLinvilleGorge2

Kbark and I had planned this trip for Dec. 2/3, but some local obligations pushed us back a couple of weeks. We had hoped to get a couple more local guys to go with us as well but this time of year it tends to be a little more difficult to get a decent sized group together.
    So since it was just the two of us we figured we would try to do a 2-4 mile hike in and then setup camp, maybe go for a night hike and a short hike out in the AM. The final route we decide on was to park @ Bynum Bluff Trail Head and walk the road to Babel. Hike down Babel to Linville Trail and then take that to back to Bynum and setup camp somewhere along the way.
    The weather was perfect 45-50 degrees and sunny skies, we set off at about 1:00 PM and managed to get the first two parts done pretty well, but of course things don't always go as planned and when we got to where Babel meets Linville we headed downstream instead of up. I'm guessing we walked about 1/2-3/4 of a mile until we got to the river at which point we figured out we were going the wrong way...so we turned around and headed back up to the intersection of Babel and Linville. When we got back up there we figured out where we had gone wrong and we were back on our way. Somewhere before the intersection with Cabin Trail we got sidetracked and ended up down at the river again. This was a shorter detour but the terrain was more difficult coming back out so another 30-45 minutes wasted. Again before we got to the intersection with the Cabin Trail we got on a trail that took us down to the river, this time we decided that we would not go back the way we came in since we were running short on daylight so we would just stay along the river and walk upstream as far as we could. This was slippery terrain becasue of the rain the day before which saw me almost completely turtle in the river and Kbark laying on the rocks a couple of times looking for a soft place to rest I guess. We made it to a small waterfall before we had to start back up into the woods at which point we luckily ended up right back on the Linville Trail, but after the intersection with Cabin Trail so our river detour somehow took us past that. Another 30 or so minutes we ended up at the intersection of Bynum Bluff/Pine Gap/Linville. So we took option #4 which was an unmarked trail that led us down towards the river. We got to a pretty decent campsite right at dusk and proceeded to setup camp in the dark. Always fun when you are testing an entirely new setup like I was. After getting everything setup and finding dry firewood in the dark we got a decent fire going, got nice and toasty and had a camp feast. I tucked Kbark into his Manritto setup and spent the next 10 minutes trying to get my homemade underquilt (The Zunderquilt 1.1 Ripstop, 2 layers Climashield)setup, setup. When I finally got it dialed in right I was toasty and good to go for the night, even having to shed layers to stay cool.
    Our best guess is that it got into the low 20's overnight, as when we woke up it was light out and 25 degrees. We packed up pretty quickly, had a snack and coffee and hiked out Bynum Bluff to the car. I think we got a little more mileage then we planned initially maybe 5ish on day 1 with all the detours but it was a great trip and I'm looking forward to #OccupyLinvilleGorge3 hopefully sometime in Jan.

*I borrowed a camera from work and the size setting was all over the place for the pics sorry about that.

Last edited by teddy pendergrass; 12-19-2011 at 16:23.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    excellent! hate I missed out...

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    very nice write up

poster sized too! j/k
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I love the name of your post!----------very funny!---------Thanks for the great pictures. Ive been to linville gorge, but it was a long time ago. Makes me want to go again---thanks!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oh lucky you!!!! Did the Gorge ask where have I been?
    Terrific.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Bucket list
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    That is a grand place

For most folks, one trip and you are hooked, and keep going back

Great photos, Thanks for taking us along
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno profly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Zunderquilt
    Suspension
    TreetoTree System
    Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    very nice write up

poster sized too! j/k
    Sorry for rambling on. I tend to be long winded at times about these things. If I don't get it all out there to go back and read later, I'll forget what really happened and how fun it was. Plus I wouldn't be able to go back and point out to Kbark how many times he took us the wrong way.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Really enjoyed the pics and this is definitely on my list next spring, Enjoyed the post immensely and glad you had a great time.

niiiice! Great pics, thanks for sharing them with us!

my brother and i were down there last month and we didn't know about Cabin Trail.. we ended up hiking UP it.. wow..

You can definitely get turned around down there.. lucky for us we met a kind local who let us borrow her map for the weekend with all her notes on it for extra intel mighty fine place with mighty fine people

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast