Is an UQ enough on its own?

Hi all! I am a newbie hanger and have really enjoyed getting up off the ground. I was comfortable with a wool blanket alone to 50... chilled at 45, though. I'd like to get to 30, as I will be spending the summer in Maine -- which, as you know if you've spent time up there, can basically be winter all over again.

Will an underquilt alone be enough? I'm confused because intuitively it seems like an UQ should be paired with a top quilt, but many of the UQs are "rated" to 30.

I'm considering the JRB Mt Washington 3 or KAQ New River... the only apparent difference between the two is down vs. synthetic. Thanks so much for any help!
    Last edited by nullflux; 12-19-2011 at 13:17.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    You will still need some sort of insulation on top of you in your hammock, be it a TQ or a sleeping bag or in warm weather some go with just a fleece blanket or the like. The Rating if the quilt is in respect to the area that it is insulating....UQ is only insulating your Under so that's the temp that the quilt will keep your under warm down to. Some UQ's can be used on the ground as a TQ. The New River will work as a basic TQ as the end can be cinched up to close up a foot box area...I can't speak for the other.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Brilliant, thank you!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nullflux View Post

Will an underquilt alone be enough? I'm confused because intuitively it seems like an UQ should be paired with a top quilt, but many of the UQs are "rated" to 30.
    I'm not sure from what you said if you may be a bit confused on how an Under Quilt works???

You are right in that an Under quilt should be paired with a top quilt. Now the ratings for each quilt could be different. You might have a 30 degree under quilt and a 50 degree top quilt. But you will need both, even if the top quilt is only a blanket. What I've found is that I need more insulation under me than I need over me. So I can use a much lighter top quilt than the under quilt.

Look around at the sites here that sell quilts, many of them will have 40 degree quilts. The 30 degree that you mentioned might be a bit to warm for the summer temps you were talking about. Unless you are a very cold sleeper. The 40 degree can be attached loose to your hammock if you're to hot.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My contribution to your quest......
    Some use a UQ and sleep in all their gear.
    Here is a UQ video....might help.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks, Tina. Shug! I love your videos! They have been really helpful on a lot of the newbie topics, particularly the how to hang series and the material on whoopie slings.

Thanks all for your input, you've definitely answered my question.

• + New Posts