Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images

Question GT Single: Sewn nylon strips

I picked up a GT single to compare to my GT UL. I have installed an ASR and whoopie slings on each. I'm running into an issue on the GT single. The sewn strips of parachute nylon on either side of the hammock make the hammock body wider. But I am having difficulty being able to use those strips.

I have tried a very long ridgeline all the way to a very short ridgeline and found that the outside strips would be completely loose - that is not carrying any weight, or the sewn seam would be very tight - carrying a lot of weight. The seam would be tight enough that I couldn't rest my head on the strip. The only way I seemed to be able to get tension in the strips was by making the ridgeline very short.

What experience do you have with these strips? I'm looking for the Single to be just a touch bigger than the UL and if I can't get the outside strips to bear weight, then I'm not getting the benefit of carrying the bigger hammock (except for length).

One caveat: the trees I have available are rather far apart, so I was using a very tight ridgeline to set the sag. But that's the whole point of a structural ridgeline, so I'm not convinced that this was the problem.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    Appalachian Trail Thru Hike Blog

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    [QUOTE=Meriadoc;660883]
    or the sewn seam would be very tight - carrying a lot of weight. The seam would be tight enough that I couldn't rest my head on the strip.
    I'm looking for the Single to be just a touch bigger than the UL and if I can't get the outside strips to bear weight, then I'm not getting the benefit of carrying the bigger hammock (except for length).
    That was pretty much the same issue that i had with the single, the seam being tight and uncomfortable under my shoulder. While the overall dimensions of the hammock were great those seam were a deal breaker, ended up giving it to a friend and making a DIY of the same size which if recalled correctly was 114" by ~58"

• + New Posts