DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah, I read it at Wallyworld while trolling the dollar bin.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Just another piss *** job they did. I think that when people read somthing like that it just leave's a bad taste in there mouth and will forever think that hammock whom ever they are will be uncomfy and they will continue to be ground dwellers.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Backpacker magazine

I thought Backpacker magazine was great when I first really got into backpacking in 1990. Chris Townsend's article about his walk along the length of the Canadian Rockies was captivating. It was OK for much of the 1990s but now it's not as informative or interesting. The only time I read it these days is when it's from an airport news stand and on an airplane which isn't often. Maybe at the public library.

Some of their centerpiece articles are pretty good. I liked the article about gear manufacturing in Vietnam. My wife and I found some old Backpacker magzines from the 1980s at a library and at the dump. It was a better magazine then. Most of the articles are still relevant.

It's crazy that Backpacker hasn't written more about hammocking. It seems like something new they could run with.
    Last edited by hikingjer; 05-17-2008 at 03:18.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I just sent an email to one of the associate editors of BP mag that I had conversed with a few months ago by email about their mag and why they don't review hammocks to let him know how disapointed I was in their review but happy in the same. I was happy b/c it will give all of us more choices to hang on our favorite trails without the hammock community getting overrun by backpackker's readers that go out and buy everything the magazine tells them is good to buy.
    Chris

Lawson Hammock

I saw the mention of Lawsons Blue Ridge Camping Hammock in Backpacker too. I've used one for years and it's great. Comes with rainfly, bugnetting and can also be used on the ground as a bivy. Have you guys ever used one? It's by far the most comfortable. 4.25 isn't that heavy considering you eliminate the need for a ground tarp, etc. Sure, maybe not be good for backcountry but I've used on the AT many times and love it.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Who is the author of the blurb?

The reason I ask is that around 2005-early 2006 a former acquaintance who occ does gear tests and short pieces for BP found out I was into hanging .. unfortunate he said cuz he and other totally inexperienced testers had done some testing.

He said that most written submissions (even those suggested) are not published and those that are are usually subject to HEAVY editing.

A couple you literate types might think about submitting a short structured assessment of 3-4 popular(or cheap or innovative or ?) entry level hammers(mention others), distinct features + an associated short 'how to'.

If you do it .. do a pre-do layout for content, size and contact BP or Outside or ?? first with the virtual specifics. Under any circumstances can't see them going for more than 2-3 pages INCLUDING ADS. More likely lucky to get about 1+ page with ads.

A problem now BP prolly thinks they've covered the subject

BUT I hope you don't cuz I like things the way they are..... da Old Fart.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 05-21-2008 at 17:52.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Once again, Backpacker proves how out of touch with "real hikers" it truly is. Unfortunately, they've ben that way for years. It also shows how little research and how poorly prepared they were before they wrote that so-called article. Every time I sneak a peek of that rag at the newsstand, it reminds me why I won't pay good money for it.
    Amen!

Images
    BP Magazine will apparently publish anything. They have a "Gear Expert" column in which "Gear Chick" Christian Hostter dispenses her "expert advice" - here are two of her recent vomits:

Her first irritating answer:

Q.} Dear Kristin, I want to start going ultralight. I've looked at tarps and bivy sacks but what do you think about hammocks? They look nice, but do they really work?
    Submitted by:

A.} The thing about hammocks is that you have to find trees that will cooperate. In other words they have to be the correct distance apart (approximately 10-25 feet depending on the model) and strong enough to support you. In reality, I find this a bit tough. Tougher, that is, than finding a relatively flat piece of ground to pitch a tent on. But if you typically hike in forests that offer plenty of hammock-friendly trees, hammocks can be wicked comfortable. And they eliminate the need to carry a sleeping pad.

My Comments: First, for those of us who hike where there are trees it is way more difficult to find a flat piece of ground not strewn with rocks or roots to pitch a tent. Second, I doubt the person who wrote the question was asking about using a hammock where there are no tress,unles he or she is mentally challenged ("hey Christian, I'm thinking of camping above treeline, what hammock should I use?). Third, we can all tell from her answer that she has never ever used a hammock for camping.

Her second know-nothing reply:

Q.} I bought a pair of Swiss Gear poles from Wal-Mart for $17.00 just to see if I liked using them and have been very satisfied. I learned I do like using the poles and I've seen much more expensive ones in my local outdoor shop. What's the difference? Should I step up and buy the pricier ones? Thanks
    Submitted by: Mike

A.}
    Since you've already made the investment and the poles are working for you, why bother? Drive your Wal-Mart specials into the ground, then re-invest when they konk out. The price difference comes down to two things: materials and features. Chances are, your poles have plastic grips, which get sweaty and are less comfortable to grasp than the rubber or cork handles on pricier models.

Also, I'd bet that your poles don't collapse. I always pack poles on my trips, but since I sometimes like to have my hands free, I always use poles that shrink down to a couple feet or so. This allows me to strap them onto the side of my pack or stuff them in a duffel for airport travel. Shock absorbers are another feature that bump up the price. Some people like the feel of walking with spring-loaded poles, but I don't really feel the difference. My perfect pole: lightweight collapsible aluminum ones with cushy, contoured rubber grips and adjustable wrist straps.

My comment: I bought a pair of those swis gear hiking poles from Wal-mart last year. They have cork grips, adjutable hand straps, shock absobers and collaspe - just like the $80/pair of leki's I own, but they only cost $10 per pole. So Christian loses the bet. I'll bet Wal-mart doesn't advertise in BP Magazine.
    Last edited by nogods; 05-28-2008 at 13:22.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, she's in the know
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'll bet Wal-mart doesn't advertise in BP Magazine.

If that's the reason for her lack of knowledge she is in for a major shock. I found out yesterday by doing a little research the Wenger, North America is the distributer of the SwissGear trekking poles which I also own. They are one pf the major producers of the Swiss Army Knife along with Victorinox. While I don't get or read Backpacker Mag I'd be surprised if Wenger NA did not advertise in it.

Those poles are not the equal to the higher priced poles in terms of weight, but they are very serviucable and function just like the big boys.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast