Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness

Whoopies, rings and continuous loops

Help me out here guys ...

I want to shorten the minimum distance from my hammock to my whoopie loop, my current setup is ...

• Amsteel continuous loop - 11"
    • Ally ring - 2"
    • Dynaglide Whoopies - 12" to adjustable loop

That's a good two feet of dead gear at each end I suppose, but I need the drip rings for the UK weather.

Sometimes when the trees are tight I'm struggling to get the right tension on my BB and I end up with the calf ridge thing by the footbox.

I have an idea so wanted to run it by you, both the whoopies and continuous loops are larksheaded on to my rings with a single wrap, if I was to keep adding wraps and thereby shortening both cords, would that have any affect on the strength of either?

In other words, can I wrap my 11" loop around the ring five or six times and almost halving the length?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I would lose the cont. loop/ring and larkshead the whoopie directly to the BB. Tie on a drip line and you have taken out about 14" (the whoopie larksheaded directly will use more line then attaching it to the ring).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I would lose the cont. loop/ring and larkshead the whoopie directly to the BB. Tie on a drip line and you have taken out about 14" (the whoopie larksheaded directly will use more line then attaching it to the ring).
    This would be my suggestion as well. The adjustable tail can act as a drip stop.

You could also improvise something else and attach it to the end of the whoopie. Maybe an small flat, round piece of rubber you could punch a hole through the centre and feed the whoopie through the hole. Maybe a small length of paracord. Just a couple of thoughts.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you want to increase the flexibility for shorter hangs .... It is hard to beat the JRB strap and triglide set...You can hang a tightly as 10-12" more than the length of the hammock itself... But realistically, hang distance is normally determined by the minimum tarp requirements. Most commonly 11-12 feet.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Strap%20Set.htm

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Then how would you attach a RL without the rings? Woud the whoopies and RL just be rubbing untill their one day failure due to friction if you attached the RL directly to the whoopies...
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll ditch the loops and rings and see how I get on with the whoopie end acting as a drip line. I must admit I can't see what stops some water carrying on down to the hammock though, saying that though I trust you folks and experience counts for a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    Then how would you attach a RL without the rings? Woud the whoopies and RL just be rubbing untill their one day failure due to friction if you attached the RL directly to the whoopies...
    In the case of the BB Jon, the ridgeline is secured in the whipping at the gathered end.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    You simply pass the whoopies through the eye ends of a SRL. It doesn't cause a wear problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll ditch the loops and rings and see how I get on with the whoopie end acting as a drip line. I must admit I can't see what stops some water carrying on down to the hammock though, saying that though I trust you folks and experience counts for a lot.

In the case of the BB Jon, the ridgeline is secured in the whipping at the gathered end.
    You can tie a piece a wicking line (paracord, cotton shoestring, etc., etc.) around the whoopie and let the end hang down ~6" at a point under the tarp to act as a drip line. As previously suggested, the free adjustable end of the whoopie sling hanging down, may act as a drip line as well.

See post 322 in this thread for photos of the correct way to connect the whoopies to a BB. The whoopie sling needs to pass through screen loop as it is larksheaded to the BB and then the SRL.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    If you are having troubles with the minimum length, you could also carry a small continuous loop that would replace a whoopie when needed. Just girth hitch it to the hammock. Say you make a 6" long loop, this would reduce your minimum length by 18" and you will still have adjustability on the other end with the whoopie.

Or if you make it as a soft shackle, it can have multiple uses, like a strap extender, a spot to hang your gear, etc. They weigh but a bit and take up very little room.

My test trees are very close and having a loop on one end instead of the whoopie allows for a good hang angle.

• + New Posts