Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    3- I looked at all the stitch settings on my machine and said "I haven't a clue". So I made a "cheat sheet"

I took a light colored piece of material (I have black thread), set both stitch setting knobs to the left, then sewed a line across the material. At the end of the stitch line I wrote down the knob settings right on the material .

I changed the knob settings, ran another stitch line, and wrote down the settings. Etc. Etc.Etc. Etc.Etc. Etc.

Now whenever I'm going to sew something, I pull out the "cheat sheet",
    pick out what stitch I want, look at the settings written down next to the stitch and then set my machine to get that stitch. Nothing to remember, nothing to figure out.

Now if I could only learn sew a straight line.
    But that could only mean that you used <gasp> logic! That's something I'm fairly unfamiliar with...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Here’s the plan: I can’t imagine that cheap thread is worth ANY hassle, so I’ll just use the same quality thread I’ll need for ‘real’ projects.

I have several small ‘stuff sack’ type projects I could start with, so that’s fine. The FIRST project I’ll be doing is to make the web pieces needed to change my Claytor’s suspension system to webbing from Strapworks (already purchased) to go with the cinch buckles (ordered on-line) I’m waiting for (thanks for the input Miguel).

I also figure I’ll take a crack at snake skins for my 12 X 12 camo neo tarp, for practice with longer, straight sewing on a project that doesn’t exactly need to look great. I don’t really need another hammock right now, but could use (even poorly made) snake skins.

What’s the closest material to silnylon to practice with? After I conquer sewing, how hard is it to find silnylon to make quality tarps or other gear? Is it true no one makes silnylon in camo?

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I'm making my skins from stretchy netting I got from WalMart $1 bin and grosgrain ribbon. The idea of using netting for the tarp skins is that it lets the skins dry out inside after putting the wet tarp away. You would pull the wet tarp out to dry at some point (hopefully), but the inside of a silnylon tube won't dry very quickly. So, the netting, which will dry. I'm finding the netting fairly easy to work with. I'm putting pockets on the tree ends to store the rigging, and binding all edges and seams with the ribbon. I found it easier to sew the long seams first then go back and sew on the ribbon.

Just some ideas.
    Last edited by Shadowmoss; 05-19-2008 at 05:55. Reason: spelling, duh
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    ...I don’t really need another hammock right now...
    I don't understand this concept...

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I don't understand this concept...
    Ha! The meaning is that I have several other projects I’d like to make, and learn to sew on, before I trust my girth to a home sewn hammock!

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

...this forum got me!

...that's it..I'm converted, I was surf'in the pics of all the hammocks and I came across a pic of one w/a pad sleeve sewn onto the bottom of it, I think it was a commercial job, not sure, I left a comment " That's it, I'm off to my sewing room!" So I pawed in my sewing box, came out w/leftover silnylon I'd got at Walmart. It was cut up from a earlier project, so I unfolded it, sewed together the cut out, which was a V shape, flat felled the seams for strength, fiddled with it, trimmed it, sewed it, trimmed somemore and presto! It's now mated on my blue byer hammock w/my light blue sheer curtain bug net...now what can I do with that little bit of leftover material....??..hhmmm,
    I'll try to post a pic or two in a day or so..

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF boarstone.
    Did you sew the pad sleeve to the edges of the hammock or further down near the bottom?
    Looking forward to seeing pictures.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    I guess you would say that I'm still new to sewing. I've been making gear for about a year and a half, but only sewing for about 8 month. However, I've been surprised at how easy some projects have been. With a little planning and common sense, I've been able to make some pretty complex stuff (i.e. a backpack). Anyway good luck, and don't worry about the learning curve everyone has to go through it (and a lot of us still are). And with the tongue out thing, I've done it plenty of times, but I do it on purpose. It makes me feel like the Michael Jordan of sewing !!!
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    HH HLB &amp; AR
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG down quilt
    Images
    I don't know whether or not I would have been able to maintain any residual sanity while working on my BlackCat tarp without a "walking foot."

Practice as noted above and consider this worthy attachment.

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

sewing pad sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Welcome to HF boarstone.
    Did you sew the pad sleeve to the edges of the hammock or further down near the bottom?
    Looking forward to seeing pictures.
    I guess you could say I "centered" it to the hammock. About 12" in on each side and bottom. I figurered on slack and about where I'd be laying. I trimmed the pad "to fit". I'm a short 5', so the full length wasn't needed. It came out well. I've sewn for years so it was easy for me to figure it out. (I use to make my own riding suits when I was showing Quarter horses back in the 70's.) If you folks learn flat fell seam technique in your sewing projects, it will greatly inprove on the strength of your seams. Check out your local school for the home economics teacher(if they still have'm)! Or your Jo-Ann fabric store etc. some lady there will or should be willing to show you how to do the seams, it's real easy. After you make the seam, hopefully you've allowed a 5/8 seam allowance,or a little more, start at the beginning of the seam end again, turn this allowance under, raw edge to stitching, and stitch near the folded edge. Hope this helped.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast