DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    keep an eye on the fabric of the hammock it's self.
    sewing into the hammock that way can be done, but it has often led to failure because of the force on the stitch line.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images

Pictures

My pics are up on the hammock and sleeve,. It's kinda hard for me to get a decent shot where it's hang'n in my barn. The diamond pic is of the repaired/sewn-back-together material of the pad sleeve so i could use what I had left over from a previous job. I need to re-sew the netting though, the hand isn't right and I figured out why....

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Just purchased a new old Singer. Clueless, the 1st questions?

Found an old Singer at a local thrift store. For $35 I risked purchasing it. News paper lining the drawer was dated 1944. It runs, but not really sure if it really works since I have zero understanding of sewing and sewing machines. The owners manual and what seems to be all the parts are stored in the various drawers of the table.

Question regarding needles and thread. Can you use #69 wt that Speers sells for all hammock, tarp, stuff sac projects? I'm assuming choice of needle is dependent on weight/layers, type of material and thread used? On another thread JustJeff noted he uses orange Singer (size 11?) one of the smallest sizes for most of his sewing. Frolicking Dino noted the use of a size 12 or 14 for heavy applications. #69 wt thread ok with these size needles?

General question. Outside of thread, needles, pins, dedicated sewing scissors, scrap silnylon, ripstop what are the absolute other items needed to start practicing sewing?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    General question. Outside of thread, needles, pins, dedicated sewing scissors, scrap silnylon, ripstop what are the absolute other items needed to start practicing sewing?

Patience... lots of patience....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Buy some expensive fabric from JoAnne's, some thread, and jump right into your first project having never sewn in your life. Get frustrated when it looks like crap. Decide to use the project for scraps and start over.

Oh wait... DON'T do that.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

In the Beginning...Now for some silnylon.

The 15-91 works! Picked up some supplies & remnant white cotton fabric. The request for silnylon brought up a blank look. One of my techs who sews suggested a different color of thread for the bobbin to allow checking the relative tension. Sewed a bunch of simple straight stitches. Sewed a mini cotton fabric sn..skin. Sewing is a bit of a time warp. Amazing how fast time passes while sitting in front of the Singer. One of the 8 foots that came with the machine is a hemming foot. Made stitching a narrow hem relatively straight forward. This practice sewing was using what I'm guessing is one of more forgiving fabrics. Next step is practicing on silnylon. Can you press silnylon with low heat? If so, at what iron setting? Any hints to make life simpler when sewing with silnylon would be appreciated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234