Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Weekend trip & maximum drive time

I thought there was a similar post about this but I cannot find it.

Just curious - what is your maximum drive time for a weekend trip? For me this would be leaving Friday night after work for a little night hiking, having all Saturday, then leaving Sunday around noon. Mine is around 4.5 hours since that’s where I need to go anyway for a decent setting.

Sometimes gas prices really worry me about it being worthwhile after doing the math, but what can you do...gotta get out there hanging! Besides, the weather this weekend is going to be PERFECT (65°/45°, sunny and no chance of rain)

This weekend:
    4:25 one way
    285mi one way
    $115 round trip for gas in the Jeep

Depends really on the trip for me I suppose?????

What I mean is I've gone well over 4hrs for a HF Hang event, but I can be on the AT in a little over an hour! So I guess in my case yes it's worth it as I only plan the longer drive times for bigger events/outings!

I have thought about this a great deal here lately since gas prices are slowly rising, by selling my truck and getting a vehicle that gets a much better gas mileage! Thinking of the overall savings (long term) when you factor in longer drive times to get too other places to hike would be almost the equivalent as the cost to pay for my current truck and the gas to fill it included in the equation... so as time goes on the savings would be higher on the newer high mileage vehicle?????
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If it was me and I had to drive 4.5 hours one way to get to a good spot, I would want at least 2 full days and nights. Hiking in the dark and setting up camp is not my thing.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've thought about a car too, but I can't seem to part with my Jeep. My wife really needs a new car, so when we get that maybe she'll let me use it for long hauls when the 4x4 or ground clearance isn't an issue. Now that I think of it, winter is usually the only time I need it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If it was me and I had to drive 4.5 hours one way to get to a good spot, I would want at least 2 full days and nights. Hiking in the dark and setting up camp is not my thing.

Cheers

Brian
    I LOVE getting in late and setting up the dark Waking up the next morning and thinking "oh, this is actually a pretty cool spot" is great. Plus, I love using my Zebralights any chance I get. Also, seeing the wildlife at night is a great experience. I could go on and on...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I would prefer to stay in that 4-5hr range, but with a Friday off, Bloomgorge and I did 8.5 a couple of years ago to the Red River Gorge. Man I hate driving through Ohio.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    It would be 4 or 5 for me as well. Though to get to the mountains it is at least an 8 hour drive from where I live.

--louis

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    6-7 hours in the car for an overnighter. I've driven as far as Pine Mountain, GA for an overnighter to get to the mountains.

Via bike? Well, my furthest overnighter was about six hours. That was the NE FL Hang last October. But, I got to stay two nights that time.

If I had someone to share the driving with, I'd be willing to go as far as eight or ten hours for an overnighter. But, most of my trips are solo due to my work schedule (I get out at around midnight on Saturdays and don't have to be back until mid-afternoon on Tuesdays). So...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Well it depends on a few factors.

1. If a friend comes along and splits gas with me then I'll def drive further then just by myself.

2. If I am going to use a shuttle I generally drive further then I would if I was doing an in and out cause I want more trail miles if I'm paying for a shuttle if I am doing an in and out I stay closer cause I want more time on the trail and don't generally do as many miles cause I got to back track back to my car.

3. If it's for a HF hang well I've driven pretty far for them Mt. Rodgers last year and I live in MD. Just depends on how I'm feeling.

4. When it really comes down to it, if its a cool trip and its doable in a weekend drive I'm down for it pretty much regardless of how far it is or not.

Ive put some serious miles on my car due to weekend warrior hiking and its worth every minute.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good variety of feedback, thanks everyone! Like I said, you gotta get out there! The thought of all this gear just sitting in the closet is depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    Man I hate driving through Ohio.
    Haha I hear that! I have family in Pittsburgh and made that drive so many times. Ohio makes it a 5 hour drive instead of about 30 minutes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast