DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The hammock will hang the same no matter how high or how low the ceiling if you maintain the same suspension angle. The only thing that changes is how long the suspension lines are. So for a 7' ceiling you'd move the attachment points in 2' from what I use for an 8' ceiling. Experiment in the basement with various distances, find what's most comfortable and then recalculate the distance for your 8'8" ceiling.

To make the suspension reasonably easy to adjust, take a length of rope and feed it thru the pad-eye hanging it from it's midpoint. Double up the rope and treating it as a single line feed it thru the eye of hammock and tie it off with a sheet bend or double-sheet bend. Adjust length as needed.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    The hammock will hang the same no matter how high or how low the ceiling if you maintain the same suspension angle. The only thing that changes is how long the suspension lines are. So for a 7' ceiling you'd move the attachment points in 2' from what I use for an 8' ceiling. Experiment in the basement with various distances, find what's most comfortable and then recalculate the distance for your 8'8" ceiling.

To make the suspension reasonably easy to adjust, take a length of rope and feed it thru the pad-eye hanging it from it's midpoint. Double up the rope and treating it as a single line feed it thru the eye of hammock and tie it off with a sheet bend or double-sheet bend. Adjust length as needed.
    We're pretty much on the same page. There are 4 variables: the angle of the rope (a), the distance between suspension points (d), and the height of the ceiling (h1), and the height of the hammock off the floor (h2).

If we assume a and h2 are fixed, then:

If h1=96 then d=190.
    If h1=84 then d=178.

I was thinking in terms of d and a being the same and h2 changing, so that I can get the exact same hang, just closer to the floor.... because I didn't trust my calculations
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hey Knotty, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for your help. I just spent today hanging and tweaking my XL Brazilian and let me say it's the envy of the household already! Here's to my first night and the rest of my life as a fulltime hanger!

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Come on, show us how it looks! POIDH.

I'll be sure to do so tomorrow when I have some sun coming through the windows. I'll also let you know how the night was!

Well here it is, the XL Brazilian hammock up and running. First couple of nights sleep were a little rough as it takes some adjustment. Here are the specs: 15' distance between anchor points. Anchor points are 82" up the post. 21" of rope between the end of the hammock and the anchor point.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Looks nice. I take it the wood frame in your picture was there already? That makes it handy. Let me ask you, have you slept in a hammock before, for camping? It might just be a case of getting used to it.

I'm also wondering if you felt cold underneath. That would depend on your central heating temp of course. I have mine go down to 50 during the night and sleep under a comforter.

Yes I live in a traditional post and beam home. The beams are 8"x8" which were real handy. I've never been a hammock camper but my one problem is that I do get cold underneath and it probably only gets down to around 60-65 degrees in my room.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatyBotany View Post
    Hey Knotty, I just wanted to say a quick thank you for your help. I just spent today hanging and tweaking my XL Brazilian and let me say it's the envy of the household already! Here's to my first night and the rest of my life as a fulltime hanger!
    You're welcome BB. Looks like you have a great setup there but as you've noted you'll need some type of under insulation. For mine I used a cheap down throw to make an under quilt.

Others put a blanket inside the hammock and sleep on top of that but I toss and turn too much for that approach.

Sleeping in the big Brazilian does take some getting used to. After all, you gotta figure that you probably have decades of bed sleeping programmed into you. It took me a while to realize that I needed to think differently so I could find what was really comfortable.

Good luck!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

I'm definitely going to look into make my own underquilt. Knotty, I like your underquilt setup. What are the dimensions of it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast