wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    if it can do leather, webbing shug be no problem either..

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Neither have I.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?
    haha!
    the image of pack bags falling of some Trail ride in the 1800's flashed across my head when picturing sewing falling apart.
    My Finnish grandmother taught me some very basic stitches when I was quite young and I have not forgotten them.

This thread has been a wealth of information for me. ty
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY nylon
    Tarp
    DIY nylon
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, pad
    Suspension
    DIY tree huggers
    I won't trust it if I were you. I've picked up five sewing machines from Goodwill and all work great after cleaning up. One only cost $8.00 as parts because it was "stiff to move" but all it needed was cleaning and oiling. Sews great now and you can teach yourself to sew. Lots of great info on here about sewing too. Just be careful about letting the DIY bug bite you. I'm just saying

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    It isn't pretty, but the Speedy Stitcher works great. I just got one a few weeks ago and used it to sew loops into my polyester webbing. I used about 1.5 inches of overlap and did 4 rows of parallel stitches on that length. (I have read several threads here that describes this as a great pattern for strength.) Last weekend I wanted to do an experiment, and interlocked my loops together and stretched the webbing between two trees with the interlocked loops in the middle, & hung my hammock on that. I then dropped my 250lb + butt into it, and remained at altitude until I got back out. Not one sign of stitches or webbing being compromised at all. I am a fan!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaddog151 View Post
    I won't trust it if I were you. I've picked up five sewing machines from Goodwill and all work great after cleaning up. One only cost $8.00 as parts because it was "stiff to move" but all it needed was cleaning and oiling. Sews great now and you can teach yourself to sew. Lots of great info on here about sewing too. Just be careful about letting the DIY bug bite you. I'm just saying
    Here is what puzzles me.... I mean no disrespect to anyone or their opinions but to suggest machine stitching is somehow superior to hand stitches or speedy stitchers seems to ignore the vast history where hand stitching is all there was. The speedy stitcher is based on sewing awls that go back centuries. The first wide spread use of sewing machines was during the Civil War for making uniforms rapidly and consistently.

Webbing, if used properly is a closed woven fabric which has strong edges. If you can put a grommet in webbing without creating a hazard then clearly the hole caused by the appropriate speedy stitcher needle is only a miniscule poke compared to the grommet.

I do not advocate grommets in webbing but that is because grommets tend to fail, not the webbing the grommet is set in. Speedy Stitcher is a great investment for heavy duty uses as long as you use it properly which is really easy to do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

i use a simple set up..a small assortment of sail needles and waxed thread. i'm sure they will hold as well or better than the machine stitching will. not as fast( or pretty)- but then i have the time to do things the way i want to. i've had this set up for a long time. and am still amazed by it's versatility each time i use it.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I've hand stitched a few tree straps. Ugly as a baboon's butt, but they have never given out. That thing looks like it would work much better than how I did it with just a big freaking needle and a piece of leather to push with.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I used one to stitch up all the straps for my pulk.. While doing so decided it needed to be part of my backpacking kit
    You can make good looking stitches it just takes a lot more effort. but in general the thread you use with the stitching awl is MUCH stronger than that from a machine. Might be a couple OZ you have to carry but you will be happy if your pack fails and you have it!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Make sure you follow the directions for the speedy stitcher. It take a bit of getting used to. Particularly since you are having a long tail stick out of the bottom which is woven into loops made by the awl. The is some learning in terms of how much of a tail you need to allow without coming up short or wasting thread. Once you poke the needle through the first time you need to strip off a length of thread and pull it through the fabric. Then everytime you insert the needle pull back slightly leaving a loop under the fabric. The tail weaves through the loop and the whole shebang is pulled tight as the needle is removed. Insert the needle again and repeat. My stitches look horrible mostly because I don't ractice with it enough to make it look good. But for a solid lock stitch you just simply can't get better.

It is not a typical hand stitch technique so that may be where some of the questions arise. But it is lock solid and strong as a ox.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have used Speedy Stitchers for years. When I take the time to use one, I get fine results. The directions on making a tight secure stitch are in the box. The waxed thread usually supplied is quite strong, and thick. I sometimes replace that with something smaller. It is a great tool. It just takes some patience to use.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast