Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ring Buckle Supports question

New to the forum and hammocking, and just took delivery of my Claytor JH. I'd like to set up a ring buckle system, and had a few questions (I tried to read through all 70 pages of the sticky, but my eyes glazed over at about page 5)! Don't know a lot about hanging a hammock or the forces involved, so these are probably some very basic questions:

I'm planning on starting with a system just like the one detailed on JustJeffs website.

For those familiar with the JH, will it be OK to run the cord through the existing 'tunnel' that the stock webbing runs through? What kind of knot would be best to secure the cord with once it runs through the hammock?

How about the cordage. Is the BPL Air Core Plus working well, or have you found something better?

How much webbing have you found works best on each side of the hammock? I think 6.5' is shown.

Anything else I need to be aware of in those 70 pages? System seem to be working well for people?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my newbie questions. I have learned a lot already in my short time on the forum!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper66 View Post
    New to the forum and hammocking, and just took delivery of my Claytor JH. I'd like to set up a ring buckle system, and had a few questions (I tried to read through all 70 pages of the sticky, but my eyes glazed over at about page 5)! Don't know a lot about hanging a hammock or the forces involved, so these are probably some very basic questions:

I'm planning on starting with a system just like the one detailed on JustJeffs website.

For those familiar with the JH, will it be OK to run the cord through the existing 'tunnel' that the stock webbing runs through? What kind of knot would be best to secure the cord with once it runs through the hammock?

How about the cordage. Is the BPL Air Core Plus working well, or have you found something better?

How much webbing have you found works best on each side of the hammock? I think 6.5' is shown.

Anything else I need to be aware of in those 70 pages? System seem to be working well for people?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my newbie questions. I have learned a lot already in my short time on the forum!

Yes, running it through the tunnel (channel) works well. A bowline knot would work or just use the same original knot. The channel is taking most of the force. Spyderline 2.8 is a popular choice. www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276768.asp
    12' of webbing per side is a great idea.
    Might be the best webbing option out there right now.
    Strapworks Simple Sling 1in Polyester Webbing I've seen it and it is real sweet.
    Cinch buckles are a better option IMO OnRope1: Cinch 1"
    Use a prussik knot on the cinch buckles.

Welcome to the site.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 05-18-2008 at 11:07.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Yes, running it through the tunnel (channel) works well. A bowline knot would work or just use the same original knot. The channel is taking most of the force. Spyderline 2.8 is a popular choice. www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276768.asp
    Strapworks Simple Sling 1in Polyester Webbing I've seen it and it is real sweet.

Welcome to the site.
    Thank you Fanatic Fringer. You like the cinch buckles in place of the descending rings, do they tend to hold better? Still backup with a knot?

Thanks for the webbing link, they'll even sew a loop in there for you. Was hoping to go with a color other than black, do you know if the other colors become colorfast after being washed some?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper66 View Post
    Thank you Fanatic Fringer. You like the cinch buckles in place of the descending rings, do they tend to hold better? Still backup with a knot?

Thanks for the webbing link, they'll even sew a loop in there for you. Was hoping to go with a color other than black, do you know if the other colors become colorfast after being washed some?
    I've used descending rings and cinch buckles with great success. The reason I as well as many others prefer the cinch buckles is there is no back-up knot to be tied and you dont have to worry about the rings coming apart. You should still check either to be sure they are lined up correctly everytime you enter the hammock. The cinch buckles are a little tougher to loosen on a tightly hung hammock like a Hennessy. They both hold well.
    Just Jeffs thread you are refering to was incredibly popular. His comparison of the descending rings to the crazy creek buckles (no longer available but the same as the cinch buckles) changed also. He no longer uses the extra pieces of webbing in the cinch buckle set-up. It is done just like the descending ring set-up. Except you can get by with a larkshead knot on the rings vs. the prussik on the cinch buckle.

Dont have an answer for the webbing colors. I'm sure someone else will.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 05-18-2008 at 11:32.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I wish I could tell you everything about ring buckles but Im in your boat too... I do have a system that might be of interest however. Using the channel sewn into my hammock, I ran 1" webbing with a larks head style loop to cinch down the fabric. The length on this section is 6'. On the tree side, Im using the same webbing in a length of 4' with the ring buckles sewn into a loop. (like a tree hugger)
    The only real advantage I see to this (IMO) is the tree huggers can be stored in seperate sack to keep tree sap off of everything else. also the loops supporting the ridgeline (like a daisy chain) are sewn directly to the webbing. Tarp is attached the same way on the loops, using the new double-ended carabiners by Nite Ize size #2
    I bought the webbing HERE- it has a no stretch- slightly textured finish. a great price too.
    Last edited by te-wa; 05-18-2008 at 11:34.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Use a prussik knot on the cinch buckles.

Welcome to the site.
    I've used descending rings and cinch buckles with great success. The reason I as well as many others prefer the cinch buckles is there is no back-up knot to be tied and you dont have to worry about the rings coming apart. You should still check either to be sure they are lined up correctly everytime you enter the hammock. The cinch buckles are a little tougher to loosen on a tightly hung hammock like a Hennessy. They both hold well.
    Just Jeffs thread you are refering to was incredibly popular. His comparison of the descending rings to the crazy creek buckles (no longer available but the same as the cinch buckles) changed also. He no longer uses the extra pieces of webbing in the cinch buckle set-up. It is done just like the descending ring set-up. Except you can get by with a larkshead knot on the rings vs. the prussik on the cinch buckle.

Dont have an answer for the webbing colors. I'm sure someone else will.
    Clearly I知 not getting something here. I thought prussic knots were only used on rope/cordage. Can they be used on strapping?

How & why do you need to use a prussic knot when using cinch buckles?

I知 VERY interested in this as I知 about to change my Claytor痴 suspension system to the cinch buckles. The plan I知 envisioning has no prussic knot, and I need to know if I知 missing something and doing something wrong. Help me out, will ya!

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    How & why do you need to use a prussic knot when using cinch buckles?
    Many folks use rope between the hammock and the cinch buckle and you need a prussic here. Straps are on the tree side of the buckle.

Last edited by Tobit; 05-22-2008 at 20:09.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Thanks for that pic FF... that helped alot. I was having trouble visioning the setup.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast