I am now the proud owner of what appears to be a rock solid thread injector. I had an old desk in a corner of my basement that used to be my grandmother's...or so I thought.

A few days ago, I finally decided to clean it off, and it turns out the "desk" was an old sewing machine! Not only that, the drawers contained tons of thread, bobbins, TWO brand new looking instruction and service manuals, and every possible presser foot attachment you could buy for the thing. It's a Free-Westinghouse ALB model, and from some quick research, it was made sometime before 1955 (probably older).

I spent a day reading over the manuals, oiling it where the manuals indicated, and practiced threading it and running a few scrap pieces of cloth through...basically just "playing around" to learn it. I spent more time reading up through the DIY forum than what could be considered healthy.

After deciding that the thing runs nice and smooth, and was sewing what I deemed "good", I decided to stop by Joann's, grab some new needles, thread, and some cheap ripstop and tulle.

Here is my first shot at using a thread-injector...ever. I decided to cobble together a ridgeline organizer for "practice". It's not done yet, and I know the seams are ugly (I need to practice pinning the seams better), but ultimately, it'll be functional when it's done, and that what matters to me with making my own stuff. I can only get better by practice, right? I think some snake skins will be next.