DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by rbinhood View Post
    That's not a White Pine you were in, it's a Spruce.
    I deal with injured people all the time. Some of them would give anything to have their health again. You, on the other hand, are perfectly healthy and willing to risk it all for few minutes of daring do. Frankly, I think you're nuts.
    You should go back and read the post from the fellow a few weeks ago who was hanging high like you, by himself, like you, and then he fell. When I first read his post, I thought he was kidding, nobody would be crazy enough to try something like that. Well, I was wrong because it appears there are two of you. I suggest you ask him how he feels about hanging high after his experience. You get one spinal cord in life--just look at Christopher Reeve. The mods on this list need to seriously think about whether it is a good idea to encourage this stuff from a liability perspective. Sorry, but I may be the lone voice to say that I am not impressed.
    Ok, I haven't read this other post about the kid who fell but it sounds like it is 100% pointless to compare his story to mine because he wasn't using any safety gear and I am. In fact, I will assume that he has never taken any tree climbing course, he knew nothing about advanced (or basic) climbing safety skills, he did not own a harness/rope/helmet or any other bit of climbing gear, and he was not using 11mm climbing spec rope to tie his hammock to the trees.

I am an EMT, studying to be a paramedic, and I have seen more than enough people who were too stupid to wear a helmet while ridding a motorcycle or are now stuck in a wheelchair after a car crash so do not tell me that I do not know what I am getting myself into.

Fronkey said it perfectly and I will say it a little more harshly: there are WAY WAY WAY too many fat people in this world who waste their lives in front of the TV eating too many calories and killing themselves by smoking and drinking. You should be preaching to these guys, not me. And I also agree with Fronkey that when I drive (which is rare, I bike to save the planet!) I am putting my life at way more risk then when I am hanging from a tree in appropriate safety gear after taking the appropriate safety measures.

I can't imagine wasting my life NOT trying new and adventurous things. When I am old and stuck in a wheelchair I want to be able to think back at all of my fricken awesome adventures and smile that I will die happy.

Refreshing

Oh, and about the tree, you are probably right. I just find it weird that you are the first to correct me. The area description on the SHT website was "a maple forest dotted with white pines" so I honestly just assumed. Thank you for the correction.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbinhood View Post
    The mods on this list need to seriously think about whether it is a good idea to encourage this stuff from a liability perspective.
    The mods aren't encouraging it or discouraging it. People make their own good and bad decisions every day, and HF isn't liable for any of them.

That said, big tree climbing is something I plan to do in the future. With appropriate training, of course...which we do encourage for anyone doing anything with an element of risk.

I don't want that to sound flippant or dismissive, but we all have different tolerances for what's an acceptable level of risk. I have only one life. I plan to LIVE it. No one gets out alive anyway...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    I can't imagine wasting my life NOT trying new and adventurous things. When I am old and stuck in a wheelchair I want to be able to think back at all of my fricken awesome adventures and smile that I will die happy.
    I'm 100% with ya man. Keep rockin'!!!

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top &amp; Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    quote "...he wasn't using safety gear and I am."

Your initial post showed you hanging from paracord. An arborist pointed out how dangerous that was.

One of the arborists here, who makes his living climbing trees, advised against hanging between two trees. Your post shows you hanging between two trees. You have no idea of the forces involved when two trees move apart in the wind. As an engineer, I do. If your suspension system didn't snap, the trees certainly could under the stress of being tied together.

You have no idea how fast the weather could change. If the trees snap below your safety rope, you and the trees would come crashing down. The arborist tried to explain a widow maker. That's a branch that falls and hits somebody below, quite often killing them. Now imagine going down from 50' up tied to half a tree.

Some people keep poisonous snakes for pets because they think it's cool. Some of them also get bit and die.

Life is full of risks. I agree, everyone decides what is appropriate for them. I just don't believe in taking unnecessary ones.

You talk about being old and in a wheelchair. I hope you live to see old age, and it may just very well be in a wheelchair.

Finally, I did not tell you that you did not know what you were getting yourself into, and I did not preach to you. I pointed out that another poster here had a different experience and that you might be able to learn from his experience. I expressed my opinion of how dangerous I thought what you are doing is and that I was not impressed with it. You're free to disregard anything I said.

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag &amp; pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&amp;knots
    rbinhood you're wasting your time. 20 somethings only learn what a bad idea something was/is when they have to visit the hospital.

d

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Let's bring it down a couple notches, pls.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag &amp; pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&amp;knots
    My comments weren't posted with bad intentions or to be a <jerk>. I'm just pointing out the folly of youth. All of us that played hard in our early years had to learn the hard way. My folly required 3 months of rehab to get my hand working properly.

d
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 12-24-2011 at 12:09. Reason: family friendly

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag &amp; pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&amp;knots
    Fron,

I won't post here any longer.

d

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Great idea, and what a beutiful view. The pictures of your feet dangaling over the edge made me pucker and that was just a picture.
    Last edited by Veto 65; 12-24-2011 at 13:36.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Great pics....and thanks for sharing.

I'm probably one of the "90% who didn't listen" when you mentioned winter only. I did listen, and you yourself even mentioned condensation in that thread. I only mentioned it in my post since you asked what we thought.

Great hang!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast