Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images

Smoking Hammocks

I for one really enjoy a good cigar and pipe every now and then. I do not smoke cigarettes and I only smoke a cigar or pipe about 2-3 times a year. Has anyone kicked back in their hammock with their pipe and had any problems? I do not think that I would try a cigar, but what about a pipe?

There are times when I am relaxing in my hammock after hiking all day, and I would love to just kick back and relax with my pipe. I have read several posts where people talk about smoking and/or quiting smoking, but is there anyone who has actually tried it with no problems? I would hate to have any ashes fall and melt a hole in my hammock, and it would have to be without a bug net.

I can really only enjoy a pipe out on the trail because my wife and kids will not be there to bug me about it. I had Testicular Cancer 2 years ago, and some how Amanda thinks that my cigars caused it . I told her that it was a little South of the lungs, but she did not care. Just seeing what yall do.

Thanks,
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    I for one really enjoy a good cigar and pipe every now and then. I do not smoke cigarettes and I only smoke a cigar or pipe about 2-3 times a year. Has anyone kicked back in their hammock with their pipe and had any problems? I do not think that I would try a cigar, but what about a pipe?

There are times when I am relaxing in my hammock after hiking all day, and I would love to just kick back and relax with my pipe. I have read several posts where people talk about smoking and/or quiting smoking, but is there anyone who has actually tried it with no problems? I would hate to have any ashes fall and melt a hole in my hammock, and it would have to be without a bug net.

I can really only enjoy a pipe out on the trail because my wife and kids will not be there to bug me about it. I had Testicular Cancer 2 years ago, and some how Amanda thinks that my cigars caused it . I told her that it was a little South of the lungs, but she did not care. Just seeing what yall do.

Thanks,
    Dwight
    Damage via cigars/cigarettes does not just target the lungs as you are probably aware of. I think Amada is wise in her thinking. Even at 2-3 times a year, why chance it. Especially considering your past cancer.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

embers

you asked....

I would guess that hot embers (imagine a pipe spill or dropped stogie) could do pretty serious damage to the hammock fabric. Smoking in a hammock seems to me to be a Fundamentally Bad Idea

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    you asked....

I would guess that hot embers (imagine a pipe spill or dropped stogie) could do pretty serious damage to the hammock fabric. Smoking in a hammock seems to me to be a Fundamentally Bad Idea

Grizz
    It is a bad idea, but sometimes people addicted to a substance will do stupid things. Before I quit, I smoked in my hammock all the time. I have several jackets and shirts that have cigarette burns in them so I was well aware of the dangers. Luckly no damage ever came to any of my camping gear.

When I smoked in my hammock I would either hold the cigarette outside the hammock, when I wasn't puffing on it to keep ashes from falling on me or my gear, or I would lean out of the hammock and smoke. I don't think I would try a cigar, but if you wanted to enjoy a smoke in your hammock I would go with the pipe. Just my .02.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 05-19-2008 at 14:30.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie
    hey, all, first post here - be gentle!!

I don't even have a camping hammock yet, claytor JH is on the way. but I do love the pipe. Like you PM (by the way I am a PK) I enjoy a bowl of good tabacie, especially while on the trail or in the canoe. it sounds high risk, but if you a proficient with a pipe, I see it as very different from a cigar or cigarette and there should not be any embers flying around. When I smoked more (used to be 2-3x a week, now only while tripping), I used smoke in the car while driving, I would put that in a higher risk category.

As I look ahead to my first hammock camping adventure, I see myself sitting across the hammock with a pipe, maybe a book (just like I do with my backyard hammock). BTW my first hammock camping is planned for mid june at mount marcy and indian pass in lake placid where my all-time favourite tobacco shop is, With Pipe and Book - hope it is still there, it has been awhile.

Bill

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I don't think smoking an occasional cigar or pipe makes you an addict any more than drinking a glass of wine at dinner with friends. That said, I would think the risk of all out fire is pretty low but hot ashes are going to burn holes in light nylon if they fall on it. Cigarette cherries burn holes in upholstery fabric more substantial than ripstop nylon all the time. It would seem to me that a burned hole would be where a failure would start.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Dude, smoking a pipe in a hammock is fine as long as your a fairly experienced smoker. No bug net is the way to go. You don't want to have to unzip or unvelcro every time you want to tip out a little ash. Also a breezy tarp pitch is good. I wouldn't suggest smoking with a bug net and a storm pitched tarp. The smoke will have trouble dissipating. I also wouldn't recommend smoking an aromatic tobacco, you know with the small hints of sweet fruits and what not.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliger View Post
    hey, all, first post here - be gentle!!

I don't even have a camping hammock yet, claytor JH is on the way. but I do love the pipe. Like you PM (by the way I am a PK) I enjoy a bowl of good tabacie, especially while on the trail or in the canoe. it sounds high risk, but if you a proficient with a pipe, I see it as very different from a cigar or cigarette and there should not be any embers flying around. When I smoked more (used to be 2-3x a week, now only while tripping), I used smoke in the car while driving, I would put that in a higher risk category.

As I look ahead to my first hammock camping adventure, I see myself sitting across the hammock with a pipe, maybe a book (just like I do with my backyard hammock). BTW my first hammock camping is planned for mid june at mount marcy and indian pass in lake placid where my all-time favourite tobacco shop is, With Pipe and Book - hope it is still there, it has been awhile.

Bill
    Welcome to the forum
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Dude, smoking a pipe in a hammock is fine as long as your a fairly experienced smoker. No bug net is the way to go. You don't want to have to unzip or unvelcro every time you want to tip out a little ash. Also a breezy tarp pitch is good. I wouldn't suggest smoking with a bug net and a storm pitched tarp. The smoke will have trouble dissipating. I also wouldn't recommend smoking an aromatic tobacco, you know with the small hints of sweet fruits and what not.
    Thanks for the tip about the tarp, I never even thought about that. Also, I smoke Ashton Celebrated Sovereign when I can find it. It is a Latikia blend, and I am glad that you mentioned aromatic blends with fruit. I would hate to have a bear come upon me while I was trying to relax .

It's nice to see you post again Jaz, I missed seeing your banana hammock

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Preacherman, I love latakia blends and am thinking a windcap on the pipe would solve any potential problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast