Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    I'd like to tag - along on this thread, as I'm looking for a genuine SPE too. I've come full circle from pad , to under quilts, and now looking to add pads again. As a 'collector' i'm more interested in the Speer product name, rather than the actual utility of make-shifting a solution.
    Though new to this hanging, I see that venerable inventors like Ed Speer had so much to do with its development, it would be special to own an original. It's sort of sad that such a useful item is no longer manufactured.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cpresoz View Post
    Though new to this hanging, I see that venerable inventors like Ed Speer had so much to do with its development, it would be special to own an original. It's sort of sad that such a useful item is no longer manufactured.
    The inventor of the SPE and Snugfit (Youngblood) no longer partners with Ed Speer, so the rights to manufacture them were lost when the partnership dissolved. Those were two very good designs. Whenever either of those items pop up for sale, they usually only last less than a couple of hours.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    and I'm remiss in only having tried the Snugfit for this first this this past weekend...got that same feeling post Packa use-why did I wait so long

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am one of the lucky ones with an original SPE 4x4. I also had a 2x2 that I gave to my neighbor. I had not really thought about selling the 4x4 but I have not used it in years. Too much going on now. Let me think about it and after Christmas I may offer it for sale.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I am one of the lucky ones with an original SPE 4x4. I also had a 2x2 that I gave to my neighbor. I had not really thought about selling the 4x4 but I have not used it in years. Too much going on now. Let me think about it and after Christmas I may offer it for sale.
    I feel lucky in having all of you pass on your knowledge and the history. I went and got some pads, cut them up and mean to test their positions before I commit to threading them together to make a wing pad similar to Sgt. Rocks. I already see bulk is the issue for my backpacking and ultimately will get an underquilt. An SPE with an inflatable main pad would keep the bulk down a bit.
    If you decide, Southmark, to let go of your SPE, I would love to have it and would be honored. Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Take a 40ish inch piece of shock cord and tie it into a loop. Now take one end of the loop and go in about three inches and make an over hand loop. Go to the opposite end of the original loop and tie another over hand knot about three inches in. This will result in one large loop in the middle with two smaller loops on the ends.

Put your sleeping pad in the larger center loop, then put the wings in the outside loops. This will attach the wings to the main pad. The inner loop will also stretch to accommodate more than one pad stacked.

Repeat the above steps on two more pieces of shock cord, and you will have a total of three attachment points for each wing as well as three connecting points for stacked pads.

A photo would make much more sense, but it does work. I later went on to just sew one as the fabric layer helped to manage moisture better than sleeping directly on a pad. It could be done with paracord as well as it has some stretch, but the elasticity of shock cord serves the purpose better.
    Thank you...it actually makes since. On your material one, did you use rip stop or a different type. I can't see the rip stop making that much difference with moisture, but I could be wrong.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12