Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

SPE: Segmented Pad Extender

Well, it seems it's been a while since anybody's asked so maybe one of you veterans might take pity on a newbie and let go of one. Does anybody have a Segmented Pad Extender, preferably 4 x 4, for sale? Some day, I hope to get an underquilt. . . Thanks.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Original Speer ones are few and far between. You do know that you can make one (even without sewing) in less than half an hour. You can even fashion one with three loops of shock cord and six knots for a functional SPE.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    They are easy enough to make - couple yards of ripstop and rudimentary sewing skills will do it. Here's the one I made - first time using a sewing machine (I mean "thread injector") in close to 20 years and it turned out decent.

Alternatively, you can put one together without sewing anything - check out Just Jeff's page or Sgt Rock's "wing pad"

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Original Speer ones are few and far between. You do know that you can make one (even without sewing) in less than half an hour. You can even fashion one with three loops of shock cord and six knots for a functional SPE.
    I've been searching and realize the original Speer ones are a prize. I'm also realizing that I most likely will need to make one but have never sewn. I've gotten the padding and was considering rigging something up. Is there a link or a description you can help me with on making one without sewing? Are the shock cords the hinges? Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    They are easy enough to make - couple yards of ripstop and rudimentary sewing skills will do it. Here's the one I made - first time using a sewing machine (I mean "thread injector") in close to 20 years and it turned out decent.

Alternatively, you can put one together without sewing anything - check out Just Jeff's page or Sgt Rock's "wing pad"
    Your SPE looks dandy and I know I need to try my hand at sewing. My daughter has a machine and a hobby room. The links are great and I can mess around with some options. Thanks for several ideas I can get my teeth into.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cpresoz View Post
    I've been searching and realize the original Speer ones are a prize. I'm also realizing that I most likely will need to make one but have never sewn. I've gotten the padding and was considering rigging something up. Is there a link or a description you can help me with on making one without sewing? Are the shock cords the hinges? Thanks for the help.
    The shock cord method is probably not as stable as Sgt Rock's. The shock cord method would be taking three shock cords and tying two knots in each one. Since shock cord stretches, the dimensions are not critical. You basically just put a pad or two in side of the shock cord loops. At each end of each loop pull enough slack to make another loop large enough to hold one of the wings. You make the wings by cutting two 4-6 inch by whatever length you want sections. Thread the wings through the smaller outside shock cord loops and you have an impromptu low weight, low bulk SPE. Three loops is about the minimum. Four will work better. Space the loops about 6-8 inches apart on the full sized pads.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    You can even fashion one with three loops of shock cord and six knots for a functional SPE.
    Huh?

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The shock cord method is probably not as stable as Sgt Rock's. The shock cord method would be taking three shock cords and tying two knots in each one. Since shock cord stretches, the dimensions are not critical. You basically just put a pad or two in side of the shock cord loops. At each end of each loop pull enough slack to make another loop large enough to hold one of the wings. You make the wings by cutting two 4-6 inch by whatever length you want sections. Thread the wings through the smaller outside shock cord loops and you have an impromptu low weight, low bulk SPE. Three loops is about the minimum. Four will work better. Space the loops about 6-8 inches apart on the full sized pads.
    Sgt. Rock's Wing Pad looks very, very doable for me. I think I see what you mean with the shock cord method. Basically three big loops, each one knotted at both ends to create smaller loops for the wing pads. I'll give this a shot, too.
    Seems this thread should have been over in the pad forum! This is great even if I didn't end up buying one.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Huh?
    Take a 40ish inch piece of shock cord and tie it into a loop. Now take one end of the loop and go in about three inches and make an over hand loop. Go to the opposite end of the original loop and tie another over hand knot about three inches in. This will result in one large loop in the middle with two smaller loops on the ends.

Put your sleeping pad in the larger center loop, then put the wings in the outside loops. This will attach the wings to the main pad. The inner loop will also stretch to accommodate more than one pad stacked.

Repeat the above steps on two more pieces of shock cord, and you will have a total of three attachment points for each wing as well as three connecting points for stacked pads.

A photo would make much more sense, but it does work. I later went on to just sew one as the fabric layer helped to manage moisture better than sleeping directly on a pad. It could be done with paracord as well as it has some stretch, but the elasticity of shock cord serves the purpose better.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    I'd like to tag - along on this thread, as I'm looking for a genuine SPE too. I've come full circle from pad , to under quilts, and now looking to add pads again. As a 'collector' i'm more interested in the Speer product name, rather than the actual utility of make-shifting a solution.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast