Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Planet Hammock Parachute Silk Hammocks (Single, King)

I've had the opportunity to review two hammocks from Planet Hammock of the Netherlands. I've submitted a formal review to BackpackGearTest.org, but it won't be posted until the new year. I've been working on this review since October as I like to get in several field tests (backpacking, day hikes) for a more thorough review instead of just a cursory visual inspection.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

There are a lot of "parachute silk" nylon hammocks out in the market today and those offered by Planet Hammock are near equal to the competition (e.g., ENO, Grand Trunk, Trek Light, etc.) with a few differences. First, Planet Hammock's headquarters are in the Netherlands, providing customers in Europe easier access to this type of gear. The second biggest difference is also the one flaw I found in these hammocks: the stuff sacks are small. This is minor, and many people probably won't care, but I like stuff sacks that are roomy, making the process of stuffing and packing a little easier, but also providing enough room for tree straps and suspension lines. The Planet Hammock stuff sacks are a tight fit for just the hammock alone.

I was able to test both the King and Single hammocks. The sizes listed on Planet Hammock do not match my measurements (listed below).

The King size is comparable with many "Double" hammocks on the market and is very large. Both hammocks are comfortable, but many will find the King more comfortable, especially large and tall folks. I like the Single, especially the camo color pattern, which is different than the U.S. patterns on the market. It seemed to match the vegetation in my area very well.

BGT won't let me combine gear reports, but I can here! I'm going to post a lot of photos so you can see these hammocks in more action.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

MANUFACTURER
    Planet Hammock, Wintec Trading, Netherlands

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE
    2011, made in Indonesia

MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE
    planethammock.nl

MSRP US$45

LISTED FEATURES
    High-grade, breathable parachute silk (nylon)
    Attached stuff sack
    Two stainless-steel hooks
    Resistant to mildew
    Can hold 353 lbs (160 kg)

MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
    Avoid long exposure to UV light
    Do not enter hammock with sharp objects that could rip or tear the fabric
    Hand wash and hang to dry
    The manufacture also has a page listing safety warnings.

MEASUREMENTS

Single

MY MEASUREMENTS
    Weight: 11.95 oz (339 g)
    Length: 107 in (272 cm)
    Width: 57 in (145 cm)

LISTED MEASUREMENTS
    Size: 128 x 60 in (325 x 152 cm)
    Capacity: 353 lbs (160 kg)
    Weight: 1.1 lbs (499 g)

King

MY MEASUREMENTS
    Weight: 17.4 oz (493 g)
    Length: 114 in (290 cm)
    Width: 78 in (198 cm)
    Extra strip of fabric width: 8.5 in (22 cm)

LISTED MEASUREMENTS
    Size: 120 x 82 in (305 x 208 cm)
    Capacity: 400 lbs (181 kg)
    Weight: 1.3 lbs (590 g)

COLOR
    Camouflage (Single), Green (King)

WARRANTY
    Warranted against defects in workmanship and material. Requires return to the manufacturer.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Planet Hammock Single hammock is a basic, durable, fairly lightweight, single-person, gathered-end hammock made of parachute silk (nylon). The fabric, when laid out flat, is rectangular. The long sides are hemmed with a triple stitch. The short ends are hemmed with a triple stitch, but create a loop where a rope can be threaded to gather the end. The hammock coms with two short lengths of rope, tied in a loop, that are used to gather the ends. Attached to the rope loops are a pair of metal hooks. The ropes attach to the hooks with a Lark's Head knot. The metal hooks are easy to remove.

A small stuff sack comes attached to the hammock on one of the long edges. The stuff sack uses a draw cord and plastic cord lock. The manufacturer's product tag and label are sewn onto the stuff sack.

This hammock comes in a variety of colors; I tested the camouflage pattern version.

The construction of the hammock is very good, with solid, straight stitching throughout.

FIELD USE CONDITIONS

I've taken the Planet Hammock Single hammock on several day hikes and three overnight backpacking trips in 2011, including these highlighted trips:

Nov 3: Old Caves Crater, Flagstaff, Arizona. One of my day hike adventures, this time with my son and his school class. We hiked, slowly, up to the top of Old Caves Crater, an elevations change of about 800 ft (244 m), on a clear and cool morning. We had two major stops where I pitched the hammock: at the top, elevation 7183 ft (2189 m); and at lunch at the base of the hill.

Nov 10-12: Upper Pumphouse Wash, near Sedona, Arizona. I took a three-day trip into the Upper Pumphouse Wash in Northern Arizona where temperatures got down to 15*F (-10*C) with scattered snow conditions. Elevation was 6380 ft (1945 m).

FIELD USE RESULTS

In order to use this hammock out in the field, I needed to pick up some webbing straps to create anchor points around trees, and a length of rope to connect the hammock to the anchor point (suspension lines). I also removed the metal hooks since I don't really use this type of connector in the field.

This hammock packs down to about the size of two softballs, and was small enough that I carried it in my messenger bag that accompanies me to work each day. In fact, on a few occasions, I would take my lunch break in the woods that surround my work building and lounge in the hammock while I ate and read *yawn* boring books on leadership.

The key to get a comfortable lay in any gathered-end hammock is to establish a good sag between the anchor points. A desirable hang angle, when measured from the ground up, is 30 degrees. I found that I got a good lay with a hang angle between 30 and 20 degrees.

I have seven gathered end hammocks made from "parachute silk" nylon, and with one exception, they all have the same style of fabric, which feel a little thick and heavy. This translates in to a very sturdy feel and I had no doubts it would hold my weight.

And while the hammock is small, I have pulled one or two of my kids in with me on occasion. On my day hike with my son and his school class up Old Caves Crater, I had trouble keeping all the children out of my hammock. Everyone was quite surprised when we reached the top to find me and my son relaxing in a hammock. The best alternative for everyone else was lava rock. I had several parents ask if I brought the hammock or if I found it up at the top. I quickly explained that I did bring it with me and that it packs very small (I had a small day pack too, so I think this all confused them).

My son and I lounged in the hammock during the lunch break on this school outing. I felt a little bad that we had the best seat in the house. A lot of people asked where I got the hammock, how it worked, etc. It was a great PR moment.

The hammock does pack down very small. In fact, this is my one gripe about the product: the stuff sack makes a tight fit. There is just enough room for the hammock to fit, tightly, with no room for the extra rope and webbing straps, which I had to pack separately. I wish the stuff sack was just a little bigger, not only so the job of packing is easier, but so I could fit the other pieces in one bag.

I like the small size for backpacking and sleeping over night because I can use a smaller tarp and a tighter pitch to eliminate wind drafts. I also like the camo color scheme as it blends in nicely when I want to be more stealthy in my hangs.

SUMMARY

I like the small pack size of this hammock, which makes it easily portable for day hikes or to relax along the trail. The hammock could use a bigger stuff sack to make packing easier.

PRO--Light, packs up small, comfortable.

CON--Stuff sack is small.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Looks good. Two questions:
    1. What is the fabric weight on these hammocks; I don't recall seeing it listed, but saying that it will hold up to 353# makes me think something substantial.
    2. Do they use that white thread on all their hammocks; it's really stands out against the camo--a bit more than most might like it; it caught my eye immediately which is not what one expects with camo.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I don't know the weight of the fabric per yard, and it isn't listed. It is robust, but it seems the same as the ENO, Grand Trunk, and other parachute silk hammocks I've seen. To be honest, I think they all come from the same factories in Indonesia.

The only parachute silk hammock I have that is lighter than all the other brands is my Amazonian from Byer, which is made in China.

The white thread is on both hammocks I tested. It isn't that noticeable on the camo at a distance if someone is inside, just based on the fabric folding and bending. It is stark against other dark colors though.

Hammock
    Planet Hammock
    Tarp
    Planet Hammock
    Great review! Much appreciated !
    WINTEC TRADING (click here)

Statistics show that people with the most birthdays live the longest

• + New Posts