Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tennsil strength vs working load limit

so when a tennsil strength is 1250lbs what is the working load limit
    This is the day that the Lord has made-let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    seuss posted a good explanation in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by suess
    According to the Cordage Institute's Fiber Robe Technical Information and Application Manual Working Load is between 1/5 and 1/12 of a line's minimum breaking strength, depending on safety factors. In practice, I've rarely seen a working load that was less than 1/5. "Minimum Breaking Strength" is itself defined as being 2 standard deviations below the average tested breaking strength. I leave it to the engineers here to do whatever engineers do with this kind of information.

NOTE: Webbing is obviously different from "Fiber Rope" and the Cordage Institute is not a trade association for webbing manufacturers. Standards for webbing are set by the Web Sling and Tie Down Association. The standards for webbing (WSTDA-T-4) were revised last year. I haven't actually seen the new standards.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

somewhat confused on what taht means!
    This is the day that the Lord has made-let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heescha View Post
    somewhat confused on what taht means!
    Attention class. Class! You in the back, with the cap on backwards, SHUT-UP!

Thank you.

Today's lesson is on breaking strength of rope. A rope maker tests a given kind of rope on a machine designed for this purpose. A piece of rope of a given length is attached to the machine, which pulls (and measures the pulling force) until the rope snaps. The pulling force for that particular experiment is measured, and the experiment is repeated several times on different pieces of otherwise identical rope. The breaking force on each experiment (also known as the tensile strength) may vary.

A statistical analysis of all the measured breaking strengths is done by computing the average breaking strength, and also the "standard deviation". This is a measure of how spread apart the different measurements are. You lot are too

HEY CAPMAN, SIT-DOWN ALREADY!

thick to grasp the subleties of standard deviation, but remember this : the number equal to the average breaking strength minus two times the standard deviation is so small that 97.5% of the experiments have breaking strengths larger than it. The rope maker reports this number as a "minimum breaking strength" with the confidence that in almost all repetitions of the breaking rope experiment, the breaking strength is higher than this number.

The "working load limit" is a small fraction of minimum breaking strength, chosen for engineering caution and also to account for less-than-controlled conditions you find in the field.

HEY CAPMAN. GET YOUR FEET OFF OF THAT GIRLS HEAD!
    Capman, you annoy me. I'm tempted to test whether the tensil strength of this Spyderline I'm carrying in my pocket is greater than your body weight.

Class, in our next lesson we will review the spelling of common four letter words.

YES CAPMAN, I KNOW YOU KNOW HOW TO SPELL _THOSE_ WORDS.

Sheez, high school. Nothing but discipline problems.

Teacher Grizz

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    CAPMAN must be neo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    "Standard Deviation ... aka "Universal Fudge Factor"
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I love it when Grizz gets all "mathy" on us.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Attention class. Class! You in the back, with the cap on backwards, SHUT-UP!

Thank you.

Today's lesson is on breaking strength of rope. A rope maker tests a given kind of rope on a machine designed for this purpose. A piece of rope of a given length is attached to the machine, which pulls (and measures the pulling force) until the rope snaps. The pulling force for that particular experiment is measured, and the experiment is repeated several times on different pieces of otherwise identical rope. The breaking force on each experiment (also known as the tensile strength) may vary.

A statistical analysis of all the measured breaking strengths is done by computing the average breaking strength, and also the "standard deviation". This is a measure of how spread apart the different measurements are. You lot are too

HEY CAPMAN, SIT-DOWN ALREADY!

thick to grasp the subleties of standard deviation, but remember this : the number equal to the average breaking strength minus two times the standard deviation is so small that 97.5% of the experiments have breaking strengths larger than it. The rope maker reports this number as a "minimum breaking strength" with the confidence that in almost all repetitions of the breaking rope experiment, the breaking strength is higher than this number.

The "working load limit" is a small fraction of minimum breaking strength, chosen for engineering caution and also to account for less-than-controlled conditions you find in the field.

HEY CAPMAN. GET YOUR FEET OFF OF THAT GIRLS HEAD!
    Capman, you annoy me. I'm tempted to test whether the tensil strength of this Spyderline I'm carrying in my pocket is greater than your body weight.

Class, in our next lesson we will review the spelling of common four letter words.

YES CAPMAN, I KNOW YOU KNOW HOW TO SPELL _THOSE_ WORDS.

Sheez, high school. Nothing but discipline problems.

Teacher Grizz
    For those of us with too much in common with ‘Capman’ & heescha, what would you recommend as the “small fraction” we can safely go by.

Per seuss, it’s “…Working Load is between 1/5 and 1/12 of a line's minimum breaking strength, depending on safety factors. In practice, I've rarely seen a working load that was less than 1/5…"

Does this mean that heescha’s 1250lbs tensile strength rope’s working load limit is 250? (1/5th of 1250) While we’re at it, does this mean a hammock supported by this rope can only hold 250 lbs. Or is it 500 lbs due to two support ropes ‘sharing’ the load. (Of course the hammock body would also need to be able to support the load, but lets not go there right now!)

No disrespect Teacher Grizz. Don’t you go by the “There are no stupid questions” philosophy in your class?

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    For those of us with too much in common with ‘Capman’ & heescha, what would you recommend as the “small fraction” we can safely go by.

Per seuss, it’s “…Working Load is between 1/5 and 1/12 of a line's minimum breaking strength, depending on safety factors. In practice, I've rarely seen a working load that was less than 1/5…"

Does this mean that heescha’s 1250lbs tensile strength rope’s working load limit is 250? (1/5th of 1250) While we’re at it, does this mean a hammock supported by this rope can only hold 250 lbs. Or is it 500 lbs due to two support ropes ‘sharing’ the load. (Of course the hammock body would also need to be able to support the load, but lets not go there right now!)
    according to seuss then yes, heescha's working load limit is 250.

You need also to bear in mind that adding knots to a rope reduces the
    working load limit significantly, by half is pretty common, depending on the knot.

You need also to bear in mind that the load placed on a rope is more than just the body weight. The angle of the rope with respect to the tree or support (under load) affects the force. The flatter the rope, the higher the tension and the closer to the rope's limit you are.

What fraction of minimum breaking strength is "working load limit"??? Different people use different fractions. 1/4 or 1/5 seems pretty common.

And yes, you can divide the "offered load" on the ropes by 2 because there are two of them.

FWIW, I use suspension rope that has a 2000 tensile strength. I know others that feel comfortable with rope that is close to heescha's 1250 tensile strength. I snapped mine though, and so moved up a notch in rope strength.

Grizz

wow, thank you Mr. Grizz. I appologize for not paying closer attention in class. I promise to do better in college!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast